BCSA Logo

BOARD MEETING MINUTES - 2010

Return to Board Minutes Central

JANUARY  4, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka • Jo Roach • Ann Shaw • Megan Harrison • Paige O’Donnell • Lisa Weeks • Carol Clark

Members Absent: Terri Clingerman

Call to order: 5:07 pm PDT by Lisa Pruka

1. Recording Secretary’s Report: Jo Roach
Motion by Jo Roach to approve the December 2009 BCSA board meeting minutes. Second: Megan Harrison. In Favor: Ann Shaw, Paige O‘Donnell. Oppose: None. Abstain: Lisa Weeks

2. Corresponding Secretary’s Report: Terri Clingerman

AKC Correspondence

• Wrote AKC to ask that they to grant a PAL/ILP number for Laura Sleutel’s “Jolie.”

• BCSA hasn’t applied for agility trials on July 3 & 4, 2010, and AKC asks that we either do or release the dates.

Other Correspondence

• Contacted MidAmerica Border Collie Rescue to let them know that the board approved their grant request for help with medical expenses for “KayCee.”

• Contacted Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue to let them know that the board approved their grant request to help with medical expenses for 7 BCs taken from a BC puppy mill in Portland, TN.

• Wrote Laura Sleutel to tell her that the board agreed to ask AKC to grant a PAL/ILP number for “Jolie.”

• Replied to Joyce Norris regarding her comments on the BCSA Versatile Stockdog Award.

• Replied to Suzanne LeRoy regarding her suggestion that BCSA not list a price on our website that people can expect to pay for a good puppy. That info will be removed because a puppy’s price can vary widely across the country and also depends on what the background is.

• Received a comment sent to the BCSA suggestion box, that breeders who advertise in Borderlines should answer people who fill out puppy applications. Replied that yes, those breeders should, and although BCSA can only remind them to do that, we hope that every breeder would give potential puppy buyers the courtesy of a reply.

• Received a question from the Havanese Club of America, asking BCSA’s thoughts on Dilute Color Alopcia. The Havanese club is considering revising their standard to allow for blue pigment in blue dogs, and asked if we have any health issues due to blue color in BCs.

• Received Michelle Canfield’s resignation from the board, effective 12/31/09. “This email is to notify the board that I am resigning from my board position as Past President, effective December 31, 2009. I have enjoyed my seven years of service on the BCSA Board of Directors; but now it’s time for me to move onto other endeavors, and I know I am leaving the club leadership in good hands. Please accept my resignation request and best wishes for the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Canfield”

3. Treasurer’s Report: Ann Shaw

I looked into prices for an outside firm to handle the BCSA web site and contacted three local web site maintenance firms. Hourly rates ranged from $75 per hour to $100 per hour. Most will bill in quarter hour increments and promised updates within 24 hours. I tracked my time from 12/8 to 12/28 and spent 3 hours on the web which would be $225 at $75 per hour. My proposal is to continue tracking my time and bill BCSA at $75 per hour, not to exceed $500 for any given month. I feel this would give us better control and a quicker response time than with an outside firm. It would also potentially save us money when the web maintenance is extremely heavy.

Motion by Paige O’Donnell to accept Ann’s proposal of paying Ann $75 per hour for time spent on BCSA web site maintenance, not to exceed $500 per month. Second: Megan Harrison. In Favor: Jo Roach, Lisa Weeks. Oppose: None. Abstain: Ann Shaw

ACCOUNTS AS OF 12/31/09

CHECKING

MONEY MARKET

Money Market

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

TOTAL

DECEMBER 2009

INCOME

Borderlines

Membership Dues

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

Affiliate Clubs

AKC Delegate

Bank Charge

Board Meetings

Total M'ship-Exp

Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

NET

4. Interim Business Transacted by E-Mail

4.1. Board Votes Motion 2009-26 made by Michelle Canfield to approve the bylaws change proposal, as submitted by the bylaws committee, for publication to the membership for comment. Second: Jo Roach. In Favor: Unanimous.

4.2 New Member Applications
The following new membership applications were approved:

• Marcia Terry (Louisville, KY)
    Sponsor - John Yaquinta

• Susan and Rusty Sexton (Prosper, TX)
    Sponsor - J. Wade Campbell

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Ann Shaw. Second: Jo Roach. In Favor: Unanimous.

5. Committee Business/Reports:

5.1. Stockdog Focus
Maintain emphasis on the unique working style of the Border Collie. Promote interest in herding amongst dog owners and advertise stockdog usefulness to farmers/ranchers. Continually “raise the bar” on herding excellence, promote best-practice training methods. Discourage genetic drift away from core purpose and history of the breed’s development.

5.1.1. Herding: Claudia Frank

• Claudia is following up with Catherine Price to compile information on the 2009 national specialty herding instinct evaluations.

• Susane Hoffman continues to compile the Advanced Herding Stats for our website. Susane will be writing an article on how the stats are figured for Borderlines.

• Claudia, Denise Teal and Joyce Norris have requested that the Versatile Stockdog Award be returned to its original format. The board continued our discussion on this topic and will send out an Announce asking for comments from the membership. A comment page will be posted on our website.

5.2. Public Education
Assist pet owners, budding dog fanciers, new breeders and junior handlers; engage them in the future of the breed.

5.2.1. General Education: Catherine Swain
No report.

5.2.2. Historian: Ronni DeLay
No report.

5.2.3. Juniors: Caitlin Kane
No report.

5.2.4. Website: Ann Shaw
• Added age field to membership forms
• Board minutes added
• Versatility page updated and corrected
• Affiliate Clubs page updated
• 2011 Judge results added
• Committee page updated
• Breeder Referral page updated
• Delegate report added
• Herding articles added
• November AKC titles added

5.3. Fancier Fellowship
Encourage camaraderie and good sportsmanship, sponsor events & competitions, support affiliate clubs, “bridge the gap” between political factions for the best interest of the breed.

5.3.1. Affiliate Clubs: Emily Fish
No report.

5.3.2. Agility Trial in January (Pennsylvania): Denise Thomas
No report.

5.3.3. Agility Trial in June (Michigan): Teri Dillon
Since we haven’t heard from the Michigan group, we will send out an Announce to see if any other members want to use these event numbers to put on a fund-raising trial for the BCSA.

5.3.4. Borderlines: Donna Brooks Brisbin
No report.

5.3.5. Membership: Kathy Sours
New member applications have been forwarded to the board.

5.3.6. National Specialty Steering Committee: Need Volunteer

5.3.7. Specialty – 2009: Lisa Pruka and Paige O'Donnell
The specialty has pretty much been wrapped up and this agenda item will be retired.

5.3.8. Specialty – 2010: Julie Bosier and Megan Harrison
No report.

5.3.9. Specialty – 2011: Emily Fish and April Bruce
An updated budget and herding contract were forwarded to the board for review.

5.3.10. Versatility: Paige O’Donnell
Three versatility awards have been processed.

5.4. Breeding Evolution
Breeder & buyer education, guidance, mentoring, registry maintenance, breeding excellence recognition. Broaden influence to more than just members.

5.4.1. Border Recorder/BCSA Yearbook: Cindy Geiss
Carol had questions for discussion about ad design and sources for title information.

5.4.2. Breeding Excellence Recognition Committee: Kim Sykes
No report.

5.4.3. Futurity Committee: April Bruce
No report.

5.4.4. Judges Education: Linn Klingel
No report.

5.4.5. Judges Selection Process: Sonja Donaldson
No report.

5.5. Population Management
Approach zero unwanted dogs. Reduce demand, educate buyers on whether the breed is right for them, improve how dogs are placed, “right” breeders produce more, “wrong” breeders produce less, rescue (a short-term stopgap).

5.5.1. Breeder Referral: Karen Herceg
I have been taking additions and updates from members as they have been received, and sending them to Ann Shaw to be added to the Breeder Referral Directory on the website. After the first of the year, Kathy Sours, membership chair, and I will go through the Directory and delete those people who have not renewed their membership.

5.5.2. Rescue Committee: Linda Ramas
I have been working on getting updates for our rescue listing. They should be up on the web page at the beginning of January.

5.6. AKC Community
Invest in our “dog fancier family”, support protection of dog owners’ rights, stay engaged in AKC governance, contribute to AKC programs, leverage shared breed club knowledge & power.

5.6.1. AKC Delegate Business: Carol Clark
No report.

5.6.2. AKC Gazette Columnist: Terri Clingerman
No report.

5.6.3. Legislative Committee: Linda Baron
No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare
Further research on disease cause and cure. Propagate knowledge on health, feeding, care, husbandry and training.

5.7.1. Health: Angie Roesch
No report.

5.8. General Club Administration
These committees manage club infrastructure tasks that aren’t directly related to our mission statement, but are necessary for the operation of the organization.

5.8.1. BCSA Announce & Suggestion Box: Nancy Little
Nothing new to report.

5.8.2. BCSA Online Fundraising Store with Ivars: Angel Duffy
No report.

5.8.3. Finance Committee: Need Volunteer
No report.

5.8.4. By-Laws Committee: Michelle Canfield
The board has voted to send the proposed by-laws revisions to the membership. Michelle will send out an Announce to the membership.

5.8.5. Code of Ethics Revision Committee: Linda Ramas
No report.

6. Old Business

6.1. Event numbers

The board discussed Lisa Weeks’ draft proposal that we offer a 3 tier system for other clubs who would like to use our event numbers.

• Tier 1 - Fully licensed affiliate clubs would be able to use our event numbers free of charge but would need to provide proof of their own insurance for the event.

• Tier 2 - BCSA members and affiliate clubs that are not fully licensed can use our event numbers to put on trials that fully benefit the BCSA (like we have been doing with the agility trials).

• Tier 3 - Other clubs can use our event numbers for a fee, either a flat fee or a percentage (to be determined).

Lisa will write up a formal proposal and present it to the board for comments and voting.

7. New Business

7.1. Michelle Canfield’s Resignation
“This email is to notify the board that I am resigning from my board position as Past President, effective December 31, 2009. I have enjoyed my seven years of service on the BCSA Board of Directors; but now it's time for me to move onto other endeavors, and I know I am leaving the club leadership in good hands. Please accept my resignation request and best wishes for the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Canfield”

The committees Michelle was board liaison for have been reassigned:
Historian - Megan Harrison
Futurity - Lisa Pruka
Borderlines - Jo Roach
By-Laws - Lisa Pruka

7.2. Executive Session
The board went into executive session to discuss goals for the year.

7.3. Suggestion Box Submissions/Input from Membership
No submissions.

8. Adjournment

8.1. Date of Next meeting
Monday, February 1, 2010, 5:00 PM PST

Adjournment motion at 6:46 PM by Lisa Weeks
Second: Megan Harrison
In Favor: Unanimous

Respectfully submitted by Jo Roach, BCSA Recording Secretary  

FEBRUARY 1, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka • Terri Clingerman • Jo Roach • Ann Shaw • Megan Harrison • Paige O’Donnell • Lisa Weeks • Carol Clark

Members Absent: None

Call to order: 5:02 pm PST by Lisa Pruka

Motion by Jo Roach to approve the January 2010 BCSA Board meeting minutes. Second: Ann Shaw. In Favor: Unanimous.

AKC Correspondence

• Received a summary of the recommended changes to the AKC Herding Regulations (available at www.akc.org/pdfs/events/herding/recommendations2010.pdf).

Other Correspondence

• Replied to the Havanese Club of America, regarding their question on Dilute Color Alopcia.

• Sent a thank you note to Teague Jackson for the generous donation to the Health and Rescue funds.

• Received several requests about finding a BC puppy, referred them to our Breeder Referral list.

• Lisa Pruka is now requesting web reimbursement checks.

• Tax information to accountant, taxes are done and ready to be e-filed.

ACCOUNTS AS OF JANUARY 31, 2010

CHECKING

$23,649.65

MONEY MARKET

Money Market

$43,175.85

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

$60,004.35

TOTAL

$83,654.00

JANUARY 2010

INCOME

2010 Spec Inc

Borderlines

2010 Futurity

Membership Dues

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

Total 2010 Natl Exp

Bank Charge

Board Meetings

Total Borderlines-Exp

Total Fees

Insurance

Total Office

Total Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

NET

4.1. Board Votes Motion 2010-1 by Paige O'Donnell to print a 2009 National Specialty Supplement to be immediately printed and mailed. Topics to include, but not limited to, Specialty Winner results by Venue, Judge Polly Smith's critique, Judge Bob Dias' comments, recognition and thanks for fund raising quilt donation, AKC Good Sportsmanship Award Winner recognition. This will be an 8 page supplement, printed on glossy stock with an appropriate Specialty subject matter cover photo, printed, mailed with labeling for $420.00 or less if minimal layout is required. (layout is $120.00, Lisa has already done six pages). Second: Megan Harrison. In favor: Ann Shaw, Lisa Weeks. Terri Clingerman. Opposed: Jo Roach.

• Angela Pietrantonio and Kurt Efinger (Palm Bay, FL)
    Sponsor - Kim and Justin Peacock

• Cherri White (Harrisburg, IL)
    Sponsor - Terry Wise Hammond

• Vicki Browne (Belmont, Ontario, Canada)
    Sponsor - Claire Hamilton

• Patricia and Harry Guticz (Lincoln, NE)
    Sponsor - Barb Petty

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Terri Clingerman. Second:
Lisa Weeks. In favor: Unanimous.

5.1. Stockdog Focus
Maintain emphasis on the unique working style of the Border Collie. Promote interest in herding amongst dog owners and advertise stockdog usefulness to farmers/ranchers. Continually “raise the bar” on herding excellence, promote best-practice training methods. Discourage genetic drift away from core purpose and history of the breed’s development.

The board discussed questions presented by Claudia about the coordination of the herding instinct evaluations at the National Specialty. The specialty herding chairperson is responsible for organizing these evaluations.

5.2. Public Education
Assist pet owners, budding dog fanciers, new breeders and junior handlers; engage them in the future of the breed.

No report.

No report.

The application deadlines for this year’s Juniors scholarship are posted on our website.

• Web site time now being tracked and billed in five minute increments.

• January maintenance/new pages

• Breeder Referral-Finding a BC correction

• Breeder Referral updates

• Board Minutes

• 2009, 2010 and 2011 Specialty updates

• Set-up Versatile Stockdog Form pages

• Set-up Bylaws Form pages

• Futurity Judge Bio

• Herding Stats

• Committee page update

• Mentor page update

• Update forwarding e-mails

• Kennel Blindness typo

• AKC December titles

5.3. Fancier Fellowship
Encourage camaraderie and good sportsmanship, sponsor events & competitions, support affiliate clubs, “bridge the gap” between political factions for the best interest of the breed.

The affiliate clubs committee sent a letter to the board following up on recommendations the committee made in December 2008. The recommendations are being addressed in the current by-laws revision process that should be completed this year.
Denise forwarded an accounting of the trial. This trial made approx. $2000 in profit.

5.3.3. Agility Trial in ?:
The board has received requests from two different groups who want to use our two remaining agility trial event numbers (see New Business).

5.3.4. Borderlines: Kat Ferruzza
The board made the tough decision to replace our Borderlines editor. While we appreciate the hard work that Donna Brooks Brisbane has contributed to Borderlines, ultimately certain performance parameters were not being met. As the main publication for the BCSA, it is the board’s responsibility to ensure that we produce a high quality publication.

Paige O’Donnell motioned that the board should proceed with finding a new editor for Borderlines. Second: Terri Clingerman. In Favor: Unanimous.

Kat Ferruzza has agreed to step in as temporary BL editor. Kat is also soliciting bids from publishers to make sure we are getting the best printing deal possible.

5.3.7. Specialty – 2010: Julie Bosier and Megan Harrison
Lisa Pruka has ordered most of the ribbons, taking advantage of a sale the ribbon company was having.
Megan has made another appeal for an obedience chair.

5.3.8. Specialty – 2011: Emily Fish and April Bruce
No report.

5.3.9. Versatility: Paige O’Donnell
Nothing new to report.

5.4. Breeding Evolution
Breeder & buyer education, guidance, mentoring, registry maintenance, breeding excellence recognition. Broaden influence to more than just members.

5.4.1. Border Recorder/BCSA Yearbook: Cindy Geiss

• Megan submitted a proposal to the board for: “The Border Recorder 1999 - 2009 Celebrating 10 Years of Excellence”

• The board reviewed and approved the proposal. Megan Harrison motioned to approve the purchase of an AKC title report from 1999-2009 for our breed. Second: Jo Roach. In Favor: Unanimous.

No report.

No report.

The BCSA is committed to a JE presentation in Fort Worth, TX on 26 March 2010. Linn is unable to give the presentation and has suggested that we send Emily Fish. Linn will request a budget from Emily for board approval.

Even though we do not have chairs for the 2012 specialty yet, we need to move forward with the 2012 judges selection process. A call for nominations will be in the next issue of BL and Ann will post the nomination information on our website. The deadline for receiving nominations from the membership is 30 March 2010.

Approach zero unwanted dogs. Reduce demand, educate buyers on whether the breed is right for them, improve how dogs are placed, “right” breeders produce more, “wrong” breeders produce less, rescue (a short-term stopgap).

No report.

Nothing new to report.

5.6. AKC Community
Invest in our “dog fancier family”, support protection of dog owners’ rights, stay engaged in AKC governance, contribute to AKC programs, leverage shared breed club knowledge & power.

Carol would like our board members to go the AKC website and review the AKC Board nominations and provide input on who we would like her to vote for.

Nothing new to report.

No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare
Further research on disease cause and cure. Propagate knowledge on health, feeding, care, husbandry and training.
No report.

These committees manage club infrastructure tasks that aren’t directly related to our mission statement, but are necessary for the operation of the organization.

• BCSA_Announce As of January 26th, 2010, there are 371 subscribers to BCSA_Announce.

• This is the time of the year where I am the busiest January & February as I coordinate BCSA_Announce membership changes and removals with Kathy Sours. I received a list of BCSA members that had not renewed as of Monday, January 25th and sent them each email reminders that the deadline was approaching and if they were subscribed to BCSA_Announce and they had not renewed by February 1st, they would be removed from the list. Some of them had renewed via PayPal some time ago and many of them had forgotten until the e-mail had reached them.

• BCSA_National_2009 group was deleted.

• BCSA Suggestion Box
    There was 1 message received in the Suggestion Box during this past period of time.

No report.

5.8.3. Finance Committee: Need Volunteer

The comment period for the by-laws revision proposal closes on 5 February 2010.

No report.

6. Old Business

6.1. Versatile Stockdog Award
After reviewing membership comments on this award and after much discussion about the pros and cons of this award, Megan Harrison motioned that the BCSA discontinue offering the Versatile Stockdog award at the National Specialty. Second: Terri Clingerman. In Favor: Paige O’Donnell, Jo Roach, Ann Shaw. Abstain: Lisa Weeks. The board is open to the development of a Herding Invitational, similar to the Obedience and Agility Invitationals, which could be better showcase for our top border collies in herding.

6.2. BCSA Event Numbers Policy

Lisa Weeks motioned that BCSA herding event numbers be made available for use to hold trials in conjunction with outside parties on the following basis:

• Fully AKC licensed Affiliate clubs may apply for the use of event numbers not less than 60 day prior to trial application deadline. Requests for consideration by the BCSA Board of Directors must be accompanied by proof of liability insurance, a proposed or previous to within 2 years trial budget and a copy of the completed AKC trial application. Use of event numbers is granted by a majority vote of the Board. Not fewer than five BCSA members among the Affiliate’s membership must be available to the Affiliate’s trial organizing committee, and present on the day of the trial. All proceeds and losses of such trials are the sole responsibility of the Affiliate club.

• AKC licensed organizations outside of the BCSA and its Affiliate Club program may make application for the use of BCSA herding event numbers to hold a co-sponsored trial. Application and trial requirements as detailed for BCSA Affiliates above apply in all cases, with the additional requirement that 50% of gross profits resulting from the BCSA numbered trial event is to be payable directly to BCSA. Any losses resulting from such events are the sole responsibility of the outside organization.
    Individuals or committees comprised of five BCSA members may propose to hold BCSA agility or herding trials for the sole benefit of BCSA after costs. Application to hold such events must be made to the BCSA Board of Directors not less than 90 days prior to the AKC application deadline. Because such events will be assumed under the complete responsibility and liability of the BCSA, applicants to hold such events must expect a greater role of the BCSA Board of Directors with respect to oversight of trial planning and execution.

Second: Jo Roach. In Favor: Unanimous.

6.3. Nominating Committee

The following members have agreed to serve on the 2010 Nominating Committee: Paige O’Donnell (chair), Lee Levy, Casey Carney, Jennifer Thompson, Jacque Hoye.
Motion by Megan Harrison to approve the Nominating Committee. Second: Terri Clingerman. In Favor: Jo Roach, Lisa Weeks, Ann Shaw. Abstain: Paige O’Donnell.

7. New Business

7.1. Bluegrass Classic SDT Ad
A request was made that we sponsor a class at the Bluegrass Classic as we have done in the past. The board discussed the request and decided not to sponsor a class this year.

7.2. PNWBCC Supported Entry
The PNWBCC would like to again hold two Supported Entries sponsored by BCSA at the Olympic Kennel Club show in Enumclaw, WA on August 21 and 22, 2010. We would also love to hold a Puppy and Veteran Sweepstakes on Saturday in conjunction with the Supported Entries. Olympic KC club will also allow us to have two days of raffles as a fundraiser for the 2011 National.

Motion by Jo Roach to approve this supported entry. Second: Lisa Weeks. In Favor: Unanimous.

7.3. Agility Event Number Requests
Two groups have requested permission to use our remaining two agility event numbers for this year; a group from Michigan and a group from Minnesota. The group from Minnesota submitted a budget.

Motion by Paige O’Donnell to allow the Minnesota group to use two agility event numbers. Second: Megan Harrison. In Favor: Unanimous.

The Minnesota trial will be held December 4 & 5, 2010 at On The Run Canine Center in Ham Lake, MN. Jacque Hoye will be the trial chair.

7.4. AKC Parent Club Conference
The AKC Parent Club Conference will be August 27-29, 2010 in Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina. We are allowed to send one person for $150. Motion by Terri Clingerman to send one member to the conference. Second: Ann Shaw. In Favor: Unanimous.

7.5. Suggestion Box Submissions/Input from Membership
No submissions.

8. Adjournment

Monday, 8 March 2010 5:00 PM PST

Adjournment motion at 7:12 PM by Ann Shaw
Second: Lisa Weeks

MARCH 8, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka • Terri Clingerman (joined meeting during 2010 specialty report) • Jo Roach • Ann Shaw • Megan Harrison • Paige O’Donnell • Lisa Weeks • Carol Clark

Call to order: 5:06 pm PST by Lisa Pruka

1. Recording Secretary’s Report:
Jo Roach Motion by Jo Roach to approve the February 2010 BCSA Board meeting minutes. Second: Ann Shaw. In Favor: Paige O’Donnell, Megan Harrison, Lisa Weeks. Absent: Terri Clingerman.

• AKC Correspondence

• None

• Other Correspondence

• Replied to Claudia Frank regarding her questions about the logistics of the Herding Instinct Test. The National Herding Chairperson would do the following: - choose the volunteer to handle pre-registration - provide the Herding Instinct Test volunteer with outline info of P&P - arrange for the event tester and sheep BCSA will provide a simple waiver so it's available to any chair in the club who would need it. We also think that the BCSA logo should be used for certificates, not the national one, because sometimes the national logo might not work well. Also some instinct tests aren't at the national so a generic one with the club logo seems simpler to use.

• Received an email from a member notifying us that the American Stockdog Registry has copied the AKC Border Collie standard word for word for their own use.

• Received an email from Dr. Jim Mickelson asking BCSA if we’re interested in supporting his research group’s AKC Canine Health Foundation research project into exercise induced collapse in BCs. He is with the University of MN and they’re about to submit their pre-proposal. Replied with a letter of support.

•  We welcome Sue Rolek as Finance Committee Chair. She and I have been in touch via e-mail and I look forward to her contributions.

•  We want to thank everyone who made donations to our Health and Rescue Funds.

ACCOUNTS AS OF 02/27/2010

CHECKING

MONEY MARKEY

Money Market

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

TOTAL

FEBRUARY 2010

INCOME

2010 Spec Inc

Borderlines

Futurity

Membership Dues

Sponsored Trials-Inc

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

2009 Natl Exp

2010 Natl Exp

AKC

Bank Charge

Board Meetings

Borderlines-Exp

Fees

Sponsored Trials-Exp

Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

NET

4.1. Board Votes
Motion 2010-02 made by Lisa Weeks to approve expenses of approximately $500 for a Border Collie Judge's Education Seminar presented Friday March 26, 2010, at the Dallas Fort Worth Judges Association March 2010 Seminar Program. Emily Fish is to present the program in place of Linn Klingel. Second: Ann Shaw. In favor: Unanimous.

• Lisa Black (Lincoln, NE) Sponsor - Peggy Battig

• Charles Chuckray (Naperville, IL) Sponsor - Kat Ferruzza

• Joanne Permowicz (Molino, FL) Sponsor - Claudia VanGee

• Heather Hutchings (Lancaster, CA) Sponsor - Sonja Donaldson

• Cindy Eklund and Sharon Elkhound (Urbandale, IA) Sponsor - Angel Duffy

• Lee Entzeroth (Broken Arrow, OK) Sponsor - Julie Bosier

• Wanda Heyman (Tiffin, OH) Sponsor - Denise Teal

• Cathy Hirvner (Dallastown, PA) Sponsor - Deb Sangrey

• Barbara Persson (Portland, OR) Sponsor - Jo Roach

• Janice Swofford (Shell Knob, MO) Sponsor - Kim Sykes

• Kim-Athena Nickolas (Selden, NY) Sponsor - Megan Harrison

• Debra Stiner (Omaha, NE) Sponsor - Gerianne Darnell

• Davida Poliarny (Ingleside, IL) Sponsor - Maureen Schulz Tobias

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Megan Harrison. Second: Lisa Weeks. In Favor: Jo Roach, Ann Shaw, Lisa Weeks, Paige O’Donnell. Absent: Terri Clingerman.

5.1. Stockdog Focus Maintain emphasis on the unique working style of the Border Collie. Promote interest in herding amongst dog owners and advertise stockdog usefulness to farmers/ranchers. Continually “raise the bar” on herding excellence, promote best-practice training methods. Discourage genetic drift away from core purpose and history of the breed’s development.

5.1.1. Herding: Claudia Frank The board is working with the herding committee to develop a special herding award for the national specialty to replace the Versatile Stockdog award.

5.2. Public Education Assist pet owners, budding dog fanciers, new breeders and junior handlers; engage them in the future of the breed.

No report.

No report.

No report.

• Time spent on web site maintenance from 1/26 to 2/21 was approximately 13 hours. If we were using an outside firm at the average rate of $75 per hour, we would have been billed approximately $975. Time spent from 1/1 to 1/25, time spent was approximately six hours for a total of $456 saving $44.

• February maintenance/new pages:

• 2010 Specialty

• 2012 Specialty

• AKC Report Distribution

• Board Minutes - January

• Border Recorder

• Borderlines

• Breeder Referral

• Bylaws

• Committee

• Herding Stats

• Juniors

• Leadership (Board/Committee)

• Membership

• Rescue

• Versatile Stockdog

5.3. Fancier Fellowship Encourage camaraderie and good sportsmanship, sponsor events & competitions, support affiliate clubs, “bridge the gap” between political factions for the best interest of the breed.

The Arizona club sent in their updates for our website. They also held their first match. The Sunshine club in Florida is having a herding fun day and they are also having a meet the breeds booth at a local show.

5.3.2. Agility Trial in January (Pennsylvania):
Denise Thomas No report.

5.3.3. Agility Trial in December (Minnesota): Jacque Hoye
The application has been filed. AKC has been notified that we are not going to use the July dates. AKC has confirmed and the MN trial in December can now move forward.

• Kat submitted to the board a well researched and organized Borderlines publisher bid report. Five companies submitted bids and in the report they were represented by a letter designation only (A-E). The board discussed the bids and decided to go with company C as their overall price structure was the most favorable. Jo Roach motioned that we approve the “C” company bid. Second: Megan Harrison. In Favor: Ann Shaw, Lisa Weeks, Abstain - Paige. Absent - Terri Clingerman. After the vote, Lisa Pruka revealed that company “C” is JJ Graphix, the company that printed the 2009 Specialty Supplement.

• Kat is researching with her Postmaster to see if the BCSA would benefit from applying for a Periodical permit to reduce mailing costs for BL.

• The board discussed our advertising rates in BL and decided to charge per camera-ready ad and not per photo in the ad. Helping to design ads will not be the responsibility of the BL editor but we will list our publisher as a resource for that service (and people will pay the publisher for the ad layout service). Lisa Weeks will further investigate what other clubs charge for advertising in their newsletters.

• The next BL issue (July) will feature the upcoming 2010 Specialty.

• Kat and Kathy Sours receive requests for free copies of our BL from people who are featured in BL. The board decided on the policy that non-members can request one complimentary copy of the issue of BL that they are featured in. We will not send them out automatically, only when requested. No other free copies will be sent out. Members are welcome to purchase additional copies from Kathy as our website states.

5.3.5. Membership: Kathy Sours New member applications have been forwarded to the board.

Kathy proposed that the board approve the purchase of more window clings ($350 plus shipping) to be sent out in new member packets. Paige O’Donnell motioned to approve the proposal. Second: Megan Harrison. In Favor: Ann Shaw, Lisa Weeks, Jo Roach. Absent: Terri Clingerman.

5.3.6. National Specialty Steering Committee:
Need Volunteer Megan will upload the information she has gathered so far to the Yahoo email list website.

• Megan forwarded an updated budget to the board for review.

• A member has a proposed a Juniors Versatility competition at the Specialty. The board is in favor of supporting this competition.

No report. The board is expecting an updated budget by the next board meeting.

Paige is compiling a complete list of 2009 versatility award recipients for our website. If you received a versatility award in 2009 that is not listed on our website, please contact Paige.

5.4. Breeding Evolution Breeder & buyer education, guidance, mentoring, registry maintenance, breeding excellence recognition. Broaden influence to more than just members.

5.4.1. Border Recorder/BCSA Yearbook:
Cindy Geiss So far, so good! The deadline for submissions has been extended to 19 April 2010.

5.4.2. Breeding Excellence Recognition Committee:
Kim Sykes Lisa Pruka is compiling the ROM information for the Border Recorder.

5.4.3. Futurity Committee:
April Bruce Lisa Pruka is working with April on revisions in judges selection, the payout breakdown, dog ages and the herding portion.

No report.

Nominations close on 15 April 2010 for the 2012 judges selection.

5.5. Population Management Approach zero unwanted dogs. Reduce demand, educate buyers on whether the breed is right for them, improve how dogs are placed, “right” breeders produce more, “wrong” breeders produce less, rescue (a short-term stopgap).

No report.

5.5.2. Rescue Committee:
Linda Ramas No report.

5.6. AKC Community Invest in our “dog fancier family”, support protection of dog owners’ rights, stay engaged in AKC governance, contribute to AKC programs, leverage shared breed club knowledge & power.

Carol joined the meeting from the Delegate’s meeting. There are two open positions on the HEC committee and Carol has submitted her application to the committee for consideration. Carol let us know that one upcoming “house-keeping” change by AKC will eliminate worker draws for entry into herding trials. This will effect the draw we have for our Specialty herding trials.

The next BC column in the Gazette with feature the BCU that debuted at the 2009 Specialty.

5.6.3. Legislative Committee:
Linda Baron No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare Further research on disease cause and cure. Propagate knowledge on health, feeding, care, husbandry and training.

5.7.1. Health: Angie Roesch No report.

5.8. General Club Administration These committees manage club infrastructure tasks that aren’t directly related to our mission statement, but are necessary for the operation of the organization.

• BCSA_Announce - Nancy Gagliardi Little BCSA_Announce-owner@yahoogroups.com

• As of February 28th, 2010, there are 318 subscribers to BCSA_Announce.

• I’ve been working with Kathy Sours with membership renewals. After sending out e-mail reminders to members that had not renewed, we were able to get some of them that had forgotten to renew. Hopefully Kathy will pass along some of the feedback that we received from members that decided to not renew as I passed that information along to Kathy.

• On Feb 2nd, the members of BCSA_Announce that had not renewed were removed from the list. There were around 60 members that were removed at that time and then a few members were added back in when Kathy received their renewals (or when a missing PayPal charge was found).

BCSA Suggestion Box - Nancy Gagliardi Little BCSASuggestionBox@hotmail.com

• There were no messages received in the Suggestion Box since my last report (January 26th). 5.8.2. BCSA Online Fundraising Store with Ivars: Angel Duffy No report. 5.8.3. Finance Committee: Sue Rolek Welcome Sue and thank you for volunteering to serve on the Finance committee! Sue and Ann have been communicating to familiarize Sue with the club’s finances. 5.8.4. By-Laws Committee: Michelle Canfield The revisions have been emailed to Mike Lois's at AKC. 5.8.5. Code of Ethics Revision Committee: Linda Ramas No report. 5.8.6. Nominating Committee: Paige O’Donnell The committee will be meeting the third week of March.

6. Old Business

6.1. Conference calls Carol researched conference calling costs to find a less expensive company to use for our board meetings. Leaderphone has been costing us 9.5 cents a minute. The board decided to go with Select Conferencing if they will match the lowest price of 2.5 cents a minute as promised. We will test the new company next month.

7. New Business

7.1. 2012 Specialty
Lisa Pruka received a bid proposal from Linda Ramas to hold the 2012 Specialty in Jefferson, WI. Lisa will scan the documents and forward them to the board for review.

7.2. Suggestion Box Submissions/Input from Membership
No submissions.

8. Adjournment

8.1. Date of Next meeting Monday, April 5, 2010 5:00 PM PDT

Adjournment motion at 7:26 PM by Lisa Weeks

APRIL 5, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka • Terri Clingerman • Jo Roach • Ann Shaw • Megan Harrison • Paige O’Donnell (left the meeting during By-Laws committee report) • Lisa Weeks (joined the meeting during the 2010 specialty committee report) • Carol Clark

Motion by Jo Roach to approve the March 2010 BCSA Board meeting minutes. Second: Ann Shaw. In Favor: Paige O’Donnell, Megan Harrison, Terri Clingerman. Absent: Lisa Weeks

• AKC Correspondence

• Agility trials #2010507028, #2010507029 (12/4/10, 12/5/2010) are now approved for date, location, and judges.

• Agility trials #2010507030, #2010507021, #2010507023 (10/22/10, 10/20/2010, 10/21/10) are now approved for date, location, and judges.

• Rally trial #2010507022 10/22/10 application has been received and is pended until the associated Obedience trial is approved.

• Other Correspondence

• Received some questions regarding how the Janet Larson Versatile Border Collie award works, from a member of the Aussie parent club. Replied with the answers.

• Received an anonymous email via the BCSA Suggestion Box that was critical of the geographic composition of the current nominating committee, and suggested that it was a conflict of interest for a BOD member to serve on the committee. Replied that the board will discuss these concerns at the April board meeting, and reply in more detail afterwards.

Quarterly reports forwarded to Finance Committee Chair, Sue Rolek.

ACCOUNTS AS OF 4/30/10

CHECKING

MONEY MARKET

Money Market

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

TOTAL

APRIL 1-30, 2010

INCOME

2010 Spec

2011 Spec

Border Recorder

Borderlines

Membership Dues

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

2010 Natl Exp

AKC

Bank Charge

Board Meetings

Borderlines-Exp

Education

Fees

Insurance

Office

Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

TOTAL

(1,045.61)

4.1. Board Votes
None in March.

• Alex Smith (Waverly, MO)
    Sponsor - Carol Clark

• Lori LeBlanc (St. Louis, MO)
    Sponsor - Liz Hunter

• Margaret Gelb (Tampa, FL)
    Sponsor - Angie McCrann

• David Mancino (Pataskala, OH)
    Sponsor - Donna Polka

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Jo Roach. Second: Paige O’Donnell. In Favor: Ann Shaw, Megan Harrison, Terri Clingerman. Absent: Lisa Weeks

5.1. Stockdog Focus

• Herding Instinct Certification Program: Other than the National Specialty there were very few evaluation forms sent to BCSA (me). Dogs which passed received a Herding Evaluation Certificate, a congratulatory letter and listing in the “BL” magazine.

• Committee Members: The work load of the Herding Committee seems to be increasing so I’ve added Joyce Norris and Denise Teal to the committee. The both are very qualified in training and trialing BCs and will provide a wider outlook to questions or committee jobs.

• Herding Instinct Evaluations – Thurs. Oct. 21, 2010: Tester: Joyce Norris using Purina sheep.  Registration: Denise Teal.  Assistants: Denise Teal & Claudia Frank

• National Specialty – “Versatile Stockdog Award” - Now called “High Scoring Advanced Herding Award for 2010”: Requirements changed for 2010 & approved by Herding Committee & Specialty Herding Chairman Laura Tomazcheski. The requirements & registration form will be posted on the web site & information booklet. Scores will be used from regular runs in the Advanced Class. Each stock and course must be entered at least once. The highest score earned on each stock and course will be added together with the highest score winning.  Score Tabulator: Denise Teal

• SOD & SOD-X: Two new SOD-Xs and one new SOD were issued. Photos & an article about each were included in the “BL” magazine. They were: Susan Rhoades – Bill – SOD-X
    Susan Rhoades – DuPont – SOD
    Claudia Frank – Jaydee – SOD-X

5.2. Public Education

No report.

No report.

Information about the Juniors scholarship. Terri will send out another Announce to remind juniors to apply.

Time spent on web site maintenance from 2/25 to 3/19 was approximately 10 hours.

Web maintenance/new pages
2010 Specialty
Affiliate Clubs
AKC titles
BCSA E-mails
  Board Minutes
Border Recorder
Borderlines
Bylaws
  Committees
Delegate Report
Futurity
Herding Stats
  PayPal Cart
Rescue
SOD/SODX
Versatility

5.3. Fancier Fellowship

The Sunshine Club had a Meet the Breed booth at a local show, they gave out BCSA information, talked about BCs and gave an agility demo. The club also held an introduction to herding day.

No report.

No report.

• The February/March issue was late due to a change in editors but was turned around, printed, and in members’ hands by the second week of March.

• Got five printing bids for Borderlines and submitted to the board for their decision. Started using the new printer, J &J Grafix in FL, with the April/May issue, which is due to be mailed by April 7th.

• I have been having some issues with submissions, editing, and deadlines parameters. I have sent a list of proposed submission and writers guidelines for board discussion and approval.

• With the April/May issue, several new authors have made submissions and new features have been added or returned from years past, i.e. the Brags column, Members Pages (submissions and stories from the general membership), and an Affiliate Club Bulletin Board.

• The next issue will be the National Specialty Preview issue and will feature a pull-out section for the General Information booklet (providing the information is received). I will be posting on Announce reminders to Specialty venue chairs to submit any information they want to be brought to the membership’s attention regarding the Specialty.

• The deadline for the June/July issue is May 15th and should be mailed by the first week of June.

• The board discussed Kat’s proposed writer’s guidelines and will work on these further and get back to Kat.

• Kat is tracking the hours she spends working on BL as requested by the board for future BL editor discussion/decisions.

No report.

• We are working on finalizing health testing (CERF, BAER, MDR1, TNS, CEA/CH) for 2010. Thanks to some sweet talking on my end and a long history of a great relationship with Purina, Brock has donated the building on Wednesday (YIPPEE!)! Both Banquets are being finalized with caterers and we're working hard on our new Juniors Triathlon. Linn Klingel has agreed to judge Juniors as well at no charge to the BCSA.

• We have lots of fun events planned for the week. Julie and I have a great team of volunteers and we're super excited about this National. It is going to be awesome!!

April and Emily were able to meet in person over the weekend at a show (versus spending hours together on the phone) to discuss specialty planning. Emily sent a revised budget and detailed update to the board. The planning is going well.

Three applications have been submitted and awards will be sent out soon.

5.4. Breeding Evolution

5.4.1. Border Recorder: Cindy Geiss
Submissions are being received. The deadline for ads and pedigree pages is 19 April. The goal is to have printing done by the end of May and the BR project completed by June.

The board would really like to see some production from this committee. Janine Warner has volunteered to help with this committee. The board discussed various aspects of breeding that they would like to see rewarded and have sent these suggestions to Janine.

• The herding futurity course has been established with the help of judge Joyce Norris and herding chair Claudia Frank. The course will basically be the started B course, no rules for fetching vs driving, 10 minutes allowed, younger dogs will be able to have handler go halfway for outrun, and no pen.

• Judge for the conformation futurity will be Amy Hansen.

• Lisa presented revisions for the Futurity program which will be reviewed by the board and discussed during our next meeting.

• The board approved Cindy Geiss as a BCSA breed ring mentor.

• The board discussed future requirements for being a breed ring mentor. A mentor must have experience exhibiting in conformation. A mentor must attend a BCSA judges education seminar and be evaluated by an approved mentor.

• The JE materials revision project has stalled. We will work at getting this project back on track.

Nominations for 2012 judges closes on 15 April. Another Announce will be sent out to encourage more nominations.

No report.

Nothing new to report.

5.6. AKC Community

No report.

No report.

No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare

The AKC CHF sent a list of grant requests. After discussing the grants, Lisa Weeks motioned to support AKC CHF Grant 01248: Whole Genome Association Analyses for Cryptorchidism in Dogs in the requested amount of $2500. Second: Megan Harrison. In Favor: Unanimous.  This money comes from our AKC CHF account (separate from our BCSA Health fund).

No report.

No report.

5.8.3. Finance Committee: Sue Rolek
During our by-laws revision process, it was pointed out by AKC that anyone who is allowed to sign BCSA bank checks should be bonded. Currently only our treasurer is bonded. Our president also needs to be bonded. The board discussed other ideas for maintaining checks and balances with our finances.

AKC has returned their comments about our proposed revisions and the committee is discussing those suggestions.

No report.

5.8.6. Nominating Committee: Paige O’Donnell
No report.

6. Old Business

6.1. 2012 Specialty
Lisa Pruka received a bid proposal from Linda Ramas to hold the 2012 specialty in Jefferson, WI. Lisa will scan the proposal and send it to the board for review. If approved, the specialty will be at the same location as the 2009 specialty.

7. New Business

7.1. Committee Chairs
The board discussed committee performance and the lack of activity with many committees. Do we need to revamp the committees? How can we encourage more participation? The board is open to ideas, please let us know how we can help!

7.2. AKC Good Sportsmanship Award
Terri will send out an Announce requesting nominations for this yearly award that is presented at the specialty. The deadline for nominations is 30 August.

7.3. Suggestion Box Submissions/Input from Membership
Received an anonymous email via the BCSA Suggestion Box that was critical of the geographic composition of the current nominating committee, and suggested that it was a conflict of interest for a BOD member to serve on the committee.

Terri sent a response explaining how this committee was chosen and that a BOD member served on the past nominating committee and detailed the benefits we felt that provided.

8. Adjournment

Monday, May 3, 2010, 5:00 PM PDT

Adjournment motion at 8:12 PM by Ann Shaw
In Favor: Jo Roach, Lisa Weeks, Terri Clingerman
Absent: Paige O’Donnell

MAY 10, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka • Terri Clingerman • Jo Roach • Ann Shaw • Megan Harrison • Paige O’Donnell (Megan and Paige arrived during agenda item 2) • Lisa Weeks • Carol Clark

Call to order: 5:09 pm PDT by Lisa Pruka

Motion by Jo Roach to approve the April 2010 BCSA Board meeting minutes. Second: Terri Clingerman. In Favor: Ann Shaw, Lisa Weeks. Absent: Paige O’Donnell, Megan Harrison.

• AKC Correspondence

• Approval for agility trial #2010507029, 12/5/10 is pending due to incomplete disaster & emergency plan, and club officer signature.

• Agility event #2010507028 (12/4/10) is approved.

• Permission is granted for event #2010507031 (puppy and veteran sweeps) on 8/21/10 in Enumanclaw, WA in conjunction with the event hosted by the Olympic Kennel Club. AKC reminds us that neither the Futurity judge or any person residing in the same household shall exhibitor or act as an agent in regular classes. Additionally, dogs owned wholly or in part by the judge or any member of his/her household are ineligible to be entered in regular classes.

• Approval for events #2010507018, #2010507035 (parent specialty/obedience) on 10/23/10 and 10/24/10 is pending until AKC has the Statement of Compliance for 2009.

• Permission is granted to hold Futurity (event #201050732) on 10/21/10 at the national. AKC reminds us that neither the Futurity judge or any person residing in the same household shall exhibitor or act as an agent in regular classes. Additionally, dogs owned wholly or in part by the judge or any member of his/her household are ineligible to be entered in regular classes.

• Permission is granted for event #2010507033 (puppy and veteran sweeps) on 10/22/10 at the national. AKC reminds us that neither the Futurity judge or any person residing in the same household shall exhibitor or act as an agent in regular classes. Additionally, dogs owned wholly or in part by the judge or any member of his/her household are ineligible to be entered in regular classes.

• Other Correspondence

• Received an the anonymous email via the BCSA Suggestion Box that was critical of the geographic composition of the current nominating committee, and suggested that it was a conflict of interest for a BOD member to serve on the committee. Here is the text of the reply:

•   Dear BCSA member,
          We regret that you are disappointed with the composition of the Nominating Committee. As always, the committee was chosen with care and thought. It’s important that the BCSA board represent a cross-section of members’ interests, and that they also keep in mind BCSA’s goals and intentions. Board members also need to be able to communicate clearly and discuss differences of opinion in a respectful and productive manner. This committee was chosen with that in mind.
          Based on your email, I suspect that you aren’t aware that appointing a board member to be the NomCom chair isn’t new. If fact, I myself chaired the last NomCom committee (in 2008). That benefitted BCSA in several ways. I knew the personalities of the current board and of those officers that were willing to continue on, and I knew what type of person would fit in with them. I also knew what holes we needed to fill as far as member interests. I was able to provide very useful information to the rest of the committee as we all worked together. That’s certainly not a conflict of interest. In fact, it was so valuable that we decided that this tradition should continue.
          The entire board helped to choose the committee members and we did invite people from all over the U.S. to serve, including people from the far west. Unfortunately those from the west declined. We have the following states represented: MN, MI, PA, GA, and FL. Those geographically encompass half the country. We’re very pleased with the committee and they’re already hard at work putting together a slate of officers/board members for 2011-2012.
          We hope this answers your concerns and questions.
          Best regards, Terri Clingerman, BCSA Corresponding Secretary

• Received an email from the Nutmeg Border Collie Club, asking BCSA to not use the terms “Yearbook” or “BCSA Yearbook” because people would be confused by our annual and theirs. The club also said they had copyrighted the title “Border Collie Yearbook.” Here is the text of the reply:

• Dear Carolyn & Nutmeg Border Collie Club,
          As you probably know, most AKC parent clubs publish yearly books. BCSA has been a little remiss in that department since we haven’t published anything since the original Border Recorder, but we’re restarting that project and plan to proceed full steam ahead every year!
          With regards to your copyright comments, we’re a little confused. U.S. copyright laws do not allow titles to be copyrighted, and we didn't find any references to a copyright for "Border Collie Yearbook." Here is a link for your convenience: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html#title.
          However, that aside, we believe that the most appropriate name for BCSA’s publication is “Border Recorder”, and that’s what it will be officially titled. The term "yearbook" is a generic description for something published annually, so it's possible that people will occasionally refer to it that way in casual conversation. It seems unlikely that anyone will confuse Nutmeg’s publication with BCSA’s.
          Best regards, Terri Clingerman, BCSA Corresponding Secretary

• Received a request from Jason Sheldon to ask AKC to grant an ILP/PAL number to “Echo.”

• Received two nominations from the members for the AKC Good Sportsmanship award.

• Replied to many emails about registration, puppies, and rescue.

• Fundraising proceeds of $893 received for 2011 Specialty

• Have not been able to connect with Sue Rolek on additional BCSA safeguards

ACCOUNTS AS OF 4/30/10

CHECKING

MONEY MARKET

Money Market

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

TOTAL

APRIL 1-30, 2010

INCOME

2010 Spec

2011 Spec

Border Recorder

Borderlines

Membership Dues

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

2010 Natl Exp

AKC

Bank Charge

Board Meetings

Borderlines-Exp

Education

Fees

Insurance

Office

Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

TOTAL

(1,045.61)

4.1. Board Votes
Motion 2010-3 by Paige O’Donnell to include CPE titles into the Versatility Program. For CPE Agility, level 1 is comparable to pre-novice Level 2 is comparable to AKCs novice level, Level 3 is comparable to AKCs open level, Level 4 is comparable to excellent and the CATCH / Cate etc are comparable to the MACH (1,2,3, etc), although to earn titles in CPE you also have to have titles in all three of the games categories (two games per categories) so it is actually harder to earn these titles than AKC titles and more fun. I would propose level 2 having the same points as AKC Novice, Level 3 having the same points as Open and level 4 having the same points as Excellent. The CATCH would have equal points as the MACH.
Second: Ann Shaw. In Favor - Unanimous.

• Tammie Gigstad (Nebraska City, NE)
    Sponsor - Gerianne Darnell

• Susan Washburn (Kathleen, FL)
    Sponsor - Angie McCrann

• Kathy Iozzio (Lakeland, FL)
    Sponsor - Susan Devaux

• Kelly Nielsen (Federal Way, WA)
    Sponsor - Jo Roach

• Shawn and Debbie Dunford (Saint Paul, MN)
    Sponsor - Julie Bosier

• Ana Greavu and Robert Rachow (Chagrin Falls, OH)
    Sponsor - Joyce Norris

• Erika Phillips (Miles City, MT)
    Sponsor - Ariel Parkin

• Amy Novak (Wood River, NE)
    Sponsor - Megan Harrison

• Kimberly Baumbart (Franklinville, NY)
    Sponsor - Leanne Poking

• Debbie and David Lane (Redmond, OR)
    Sponsor - Barbara Stewart

• Carol Tague (Deltona, FL)
    Sponsor - Paige O’Donnell

• Linda Murray (Orlando, FL)

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Lisa Weeks. Second: Megan Harrison. In Favor: Unanimous.

5.1. Stockdog Focus

• Claudia had questions about contracts for herding testers and participation waivers for the national specialty instinct tests. Terri will contact Claudia to answer her questions.

• The 2009 information is now available on the AKC web site, and the BC herding stats for the year will be made available in Borderlines and on our website.

5.2. Public Education

No report.

No report.

We had one junior scholarship application submitted by Zach Davis.
Motion by Terri Clingerman to award the 2010 BCSA Junior Scholarship to Zach Davis. Second: Megan Harrison. In Favor: Unanimous.

• Time spent on web site maintenance from 3/20 to 4/21 was approximately 11 hours

• Web maintenance/new pages

2010 Specialty

2012 Judges

AKC Titles

Board Minutes

Border Recorder

Borderlines

Breeder Referral

Donations

Futurity

Judges Suggestion

Rescue

ROM

5.3. Fancier Fellowship

The Sunshine Club will submit a report to Borderlines about their supported entry.

No report.

No report.

• The April/May issue of Borderlines was printed using the new printer, J&J Grafix. There were a few snags that were resolved, but that is to be expected with a first-time job.

• The call for member submissions was fruitful, garnering several anecdotal stories and a couple of new informational pieces.

• The Editor appreciates the BOD's efforts in setting guidelines for writers regarding submissions and proofing. It makes the job of the editor much easier to have concrete rules to follow.

• This year’s specialty information will be included in the June/July 'preview' issue. Due to the expected size of this submission, the June/July issue may be later than normal in being sent to the printer. Apologies to the membership if this is the case.

• Editor submitted several ideas as to issue themes as requested. Awaiting feedback and suggestions. Also suggested advertisement incentives for ads that fit it with that issue's theme.

• The board discussed advertising for a paid Borderlines editor position. We need to choose someone quickly so that the new official editor can get started on the next issue in a timely manner. The board will solicit applications to be due prior to our June board meeting. An Announce will be sent out detailing the responsibilities and our expectations.

• Megan submitted an updated budget.

• The board decided that the Janet Larson award should be for BCSA members only.

• For the Juniors Triathlon award, showing in junior showmanship will not be a requirement.

• A videographer is being contracted to offer video to specialty participants. Herding, agility, sweeps, conformation and obedience will be filmed.

No report.

5.3.9. Specialty - 2012: Linda Ramas
Linda Ramas has submitted a bid to hold the 2012 national specialty in Jefferson, WI (same site as 2009).
Motion by Megan Harrison to approve Linda Ramas’ 2012 specialty bid. Second: Paige O’Donnell. In Favor: Unanimous.

Six versatility certificates were sent out. Three new applications were received this month.

5.4. Breeding Evolution

The submission deadline is over and the book is being compiled.

Lisa Pruka has been sending Ann updates for our website and she sent a list to Angel for the Border Recorder.

April sent the board futurity revision suggestions. The board will review these suggestions and discuss them at our next board meeting.

Lisa Pruka forwarded a copy of the AKC JEC newsletter to the board for review.

Nominations for 2012 judges has closed. Sonja has sent out requests for bios and availability to the nominated judges. The bios will be posted on our website and in Borderlines.

• Kathy Sours and I deleted listings that were on the BCSA Breeder Referral Directory of those members that did not renew their membership. I am always updating the Breeder Referral Directory for those members that request updates to their listings, or additions.

• I periodically receive requests from non-members to add their listing to the Breeder Referral Directory, despite there being a notice on the Breeder Referral form on our website that the Directory is for BCSA members only. I emailed Ann Shaw to ask her if she could add a Yes / No check box that asks, “Are you a member of BCSA”. Ann added this check box within the day. This does not prevent the user to check “Yes”, but it may make a non-member think twice before submitting the form.

No report.

5.6. AKC Community

The next delegate’s meeting is 7-8 June in Atlanta.

No report.

No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare

No report.

No report.

No report.

No report.

Michelle has emailed the amended set of revisions to AKC. We are waiting to hear back from AKC.

No report.

The committee is getting close to announcing their slate of board candidates.

6. Old Business

6.1. Sportsmanship Award
We have received two nominations so far. The deadline for nominations is 30 August. Another Announce will be sent out to remind people to submit their nominations.

7. New Business

7.1. Standard Operating Procedure
The board needs to put together an SOP. The SOP should include all the information for daily running of the club. The board will review the example that Lisa Pruka forwarded and we will discuss further at our next board meeting.

7.2. Call For Annual Meeting Agenda Items
We are required to give the membership 30 days notice to submit agenda items for the annual meeting at the national specialty. This notice needs to be included in the next issue of Borderlines, with submissions due by 1 October.

7.3. PAL Request - Echo
Motion by Megan Harrison to approve the PAL for Echo. The motion failed for lack of a second. Terri Clingerman will notify AKC that we have not approved a PAL for this dog.

7.4. Top 20 Conformation
Paige O’Donnell submitted a proposal to hold a Top 20 Conformation competition at the national specialty. This event will be for members only. The entry fee will be structured so that it is self-supporting. There will be one winner. The judges (all breed judge, owner/handler judge, breeder judge) will not be announced prior to the event.

The board agreed to move forward with this competition, to debut at the 2010 specialty. Paige volunteered to be the event chair.

7.5. Suggestion Box Submissions/Input from Membership
Received an the anonymous email via the BCSA Suggestion Box that was critical of the geographic composition of the current nominating committee, and suggested that it was a conflict of interest for a BOD member to serve on the committee (see corresponding secretary’s report).

8. Adjournment

Monday, 7 June, 2010, 5:00 pm PDT

Adjournment motion at 7:25 PM by Terri Clingerman
Second: Paige O’Donnell

JUNE 7, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka • Terri Clingerman • Jo Roach • Ann Shaw • Megan Harrison • Paige O’Donnell • Lisa Weeks

Members Absent: Carol Clark

Motion by Jo Roach to approve the May 2010 BCSA Board meeting minutes. Second: Ann Shaw. In Favor: Unanimous.

• AKC Correspondence

• Event #2010507022 and #2010507035 are approved for date and location (rally, conformation, and obedience at the national).

• BCSA is invited to have a “Meet the Breeds” booth at this year’s Eukanuba championship show in December.

• Other Correspondence

• Replied to Jason Sheldon regarding his request to ask AKC to grant an ILP/PAL number to “Echo.” The board declined that request, as Echo appears to be a BC mix.

• Received a Junior Scholarship application from Zachary Davis. Replied to Zachary that the board awarded him the 2010 Junior Scholarship and that we’d like to run an article about him in an upcoming Borderlines issue.

• Received a request from BCCGLA for $150 in event reimbursement ($50 for their specialty and $100 to support health testing).

• Received a notice about Celtic Canines in conjunction with the Wisconsin Highland Games, Labor Day weekend in Waukesha, WI. Forward to BC-Announce.

• Received a letter from a puppy buyer regarding an unsatisfactory puppy arrangement with a breeder.

• Received questions from Sue Rolek, Finance Chair.

ACCOUNTS AS OF 5/31/10

CHECKING

MONEY MARKET

Money Market

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

TOTAL

MAY 1-31, 2010

INCOME

Border Recorder

Futurity

Membership Dues

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

2009 Natl Exp

Bank Charge

Board Meetings

Fees - PayPal

Office

Sponsored Trials-Exp

Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

TOTAL

4.1. Board Votes None this month.

• J. Frank Baylis (Toms Brook, VA)
    Sponsor - Stacy Einck-Paul

• Lori Chou (Kingsburg, CA)
    Sponsor - Kisa Reinke

• Leslie Early (Forestdale, MA)
    Sponsor - Megan Harrison

• Alberta Gray (Omaha, NE)
    Sponsor - Gerianne Darnell

• Edie Hardin-Steiner and Christopher Steiner (Akron, OH)
    Sponsor - Laura Tomaszewski

• Diane and James Craig (Duluth, MN)
    Sponsor - Gail Storm

• Rocco and Jacqueline Baudo (Lady Lake, FL)
    Sponsor - Rachel Flatley

• Luann Hennen (Fort Myers, FL)
    Sponsor - Susan Bachtold

• Cheryle Davis (Eureka, CA)
    Sponsor - Donna Polka

• Jo Ann Hoffpauir (Alvin, TX)
    Sponsor - Debby Quigley

• One membership application is being held for clarification and will be voted on via email.

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Paige O’Donnell
Second: Terri Clingerman
In favor: Unanimous

5.1. Stockdog Focus

• Claudia had a question for the board regarding the trophy/prize for the High Scoring Advanced Herding Award. This award will be purchased by the club, like the versatility award is.

• The board will ask the herding committee to draft a waiver and tester contract for the herding instinct tests to be held at the specialty.

5.2. Public Education

No report.

Ronni has asked for some direction on what she should be working on. We need to think of the historian as an archivist, to gather information that people will want to know in the future. We would like to document how the BCSA got its start. We need to have the early members interviewed and this information archived.

We need to send out an Announce about our scholarship winner, Zach Davis, and make sure there is write up about him in the next Borderlines.

Time spent on web site maintenance from 4/22 to 5/21 was approximately 25 hours.  Web maintenance/new pages.

• 2010 Specialty

• Border Recorder

• Borderlines

• Breeder Referral

• Bylaws

• Committee

• Contacts

• Herding Stats

• Jr Scholarship

• Minutes

• ROM

• Versatility

5.3. Fancier Fellowship

• We received a request from the BCCGLA for a $150 Event Reimbursement ($50 for their specialty and $100 to support health testing). Motion to approve BCCGLA’s request by Terri Clingerman. Second: Lisa Weeks. In Favor: Unanimous.

• Lisa Weeks will ask Emily to have the affiliate club updates collected in time for the 15 July BL deadline.

• The Sunshine BCC will have a B match in Orlando on 25 June (announcement in BL).

Denise Thomas has requested 3 agility event numbers for the trial she usually puts on in January. She is thinking of changing the trial dates to February.

Motion to approve Denise’s request for the three agility event numbers by Paige O’Donnell. Second: Terri Clingerman. In Favor: Unanimous.

Ann Shaw and Jacque are working out insurance details for this trial.

I am pleased to say that the membership is still contributing wonderful stories, articles and photos for BORDERLINES. Thank you to all who are helping in the revitalization of our newsletter. June/July issue went to the printers on May 25th. Judy Jurgens is the new Obedience columnist. I am still recruiting writers for tracking, rally, flyball, freestyle, etc.

• Lisa Pruka received the first order of ribbons. The board discussed Grand Champion ribbons/awards.

• Advertising will start soon. The GI booklet will be in the next issue of Borderlines. The link to the GI webpage will be sent to the dog email lists to get the word out to non-members. We will not be mailing out the GI this year.

The board reviewed and approved the contracts for the 2011 agility secretary and agility equipment.

Lisa Pruka is working with Linda on some of the early details/planning.

Two applications were received. Five awards were sent out.

5.4. Breeding Evolution

Progress was slowed a bit due to missing information and incorrectly submitted information. The BR should be going to the printer by the end of June.

No report.

The board reviewed April’s revisions. We need to get the voting for futurity judges in line with our regular judges selection process. We also need a set of dates to age dogs by. Lisa Pruka will connect with April to get these last revision details finalized.

• The board discussed developing criteria by which to approve mentors. There has been no set criteria in the past. Lisa Weeks will start a criteria list for the board to discuss.

• Addition/Correction to the April minutes: 1) we had a second mentor applicant in April who was declined approval; and 2) Cindy Geiss’ mentor approval status is predicated upon her attendance at the National specialty JE this year, and that she should refrain from ringside mentoring until following that event. Her name will appear as a parent club approved mentor on the website following her participation in the 2010 National JE.

The bios for the 2012 judges will be in the next issue of Borderlines.

Nothing new to report.

No report.

5.6. AKC Community

Carol is attending the Delegate’s Meeting.

Please send Terri ideas for the Gazette column.

No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare

5.7.1. Health: Volunteer Needed
Megan will send out an Announce to advertise for a health committee chair.

No report.

No report.

• Sue sent out a lengthy “fraud lesson” for the board to review. Included in that email:
    “To be proactive and what would help the club if there was ever any misappropriation of funds, is to have an internal control document/manual which would cover not only the financial controls but also the operational and regulatory controls. Not a small project but definitely one that should be done. What I would like to do is have all the board members be sent the part above starting with the fraud lesson, and ask them to all brain storm on not only what risks do we have but any suggestions they may have for controls. Once I receive them, I can compile them and come up with a proposed Internal Control manual for the club, which can be reviewed by the board and voted on.
    Also if there are any current documents, rule etc that are followed by the club I’d appreciate being able to review them as part of this project. Sue”

• The board would like to have Sue chair an Audit Committee, if she is willing.

• Ann is finishing up the Fidelity policy application that will bond the president and treasurer (versus our current insurance policy that bonds only the treasurer).

• The board also discussed having a copy of the monthly bank statement and check register reviewed each month by a second party. We want to make sure we have adequate oversight and accountability with the club’s finances.

Michelle sent a second email to AKC asking for a progress report on our proposed by-laws revisions.

No report.

Lisa Pruka has assembled 3 members to serve as Inspectors of Election:
Kat Ferruzza - El Paso, IL
Lisa Pellum - Champaign, IL
Judy Jurgens - Peoria, IL

Motion to approve the inspectors by Terri Clingerman. Second: Ann Shaw. In Favor: Unanimous.

6. Old Business

6.1. Sportsmanship Award
Terri Clingerman will send out another Announce soliciting nominations. The deadline for nominations is 30 August 2010.

6.2. Standard Operating Procedures
Lisa Pruka will resend the SOP examples to the board. Discussion about SOP is postponed until next month.

6.3. Borderlines Editor

• The board received, reviewed and discussed two applications for editor: Kat Ferruzza and Cindy Eaton-Eklund.

• Lisa Weeks motioned to hire Cindy Eaton-Eklund as Borderlines editor. Second: Paige O’Donnell. In Favor: Ann Shaw, Megan Harrison. Oppose: Jo Roach, Terri Clingerman. The motion passes.

• Terri will notify Cindy and Kat about the board’s decision.

• Paige will now be the board liaison for Borderlines.

7. New Business

7.1 Membership Incentives
Kathy Sours asked about giving out an early membership renewal incentive like the club has done in the past. The board decided that this wasn’t necessary.

7.2. Parent Club Rescue Survey
The board reviewed the survey about parent club involvement in rescue. Lisa Pruka will answer and return the survey.

7.3. Meet the Breeds Events

• Lisa Weeks will send out an Announce asking for volunteers to participate in AKC’s Meet the Breeds event in New York City on 16 and 17 October 2010.

• Lisa will also contact the BCCGLA to see if they are interested in doing the Meet the Breed booth again at the AKC Invitational event in December.

7. 4. Suggestion Box Submissions/Input from Membership
No submissions.

8. Adjournment

Monday, 5 July, 2010, 5:00 PDT

Adjournment motion at 8:21 PM by Terri Clingerman
Second: Lisa Weeks

JULY 12, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka,  Terri Clingerman, Jo Roach, Megan Harrison, Paige O’Donnell, Lisa Weeks, Carol Clark

Members Absent: Ann Shaw

Call to order: 5:05 pm PDT by Lisa Pruka

Motion by Jo Roach to approve the June 2010 BCSA Board meeting minutes. Second: Paige O’Donnell. In Favor: Terri Clingerman, Megan Harrison, Lisa Weeks. Absent: Ann Shaw

• AKC Correspondence

• None this month.

• Other Correspondence

• Replied to BCCGLA that their request for $150 in event reimbursement ($50 for their specialty and $100 to support health testing) was approved by the board.

• Received a request from Richard Dorrington for BCSA to run two agility trials in Ohio.

• Sent a thank you to James Hannon, Sandra & Hal West, Jean & S.R. Andrews, and for a donation to BCSA’s rescue fund in memory of Dan West.

• Received a request from the Border Collie Club of Northern CA for a donation towards their specialty show in September 2010.

• Fidelity Bond application submitted to Sportsmen's.

• Quarterly reports (Balance Sheet, Cash Flow, Itemized Categories) sent to Sue Rolek, Finance Chair.

ACCOUNTS AS OF 7/31/10

Checking

MONEY MARKET

Money Market

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

TOTAL

JULY 1 – 31, 2010

INCOME

2009 Spec Inc

2010 Spec Inc

Border Recorder Orders

Borderlines

Futurity

Membership Dues

Restricted Fund

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

2009 Natl Exp

2010 Natl Exp

AKC

Bank Charge

Board Meetings

Fees

Postage

SOD

Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

TOTAL

4.1. Board Votes
Motion 2010-4 by Terri Clingerman to approve Eileen Madrigle's membership application. Second: Jo Roach. In Favor: Unanimous

Motion 2010-5 by Paige O'Donnell. The Nominating Committee completed its slate on 6/16/10. Membership will be notified via BCSA Announce and postal mail. I would like to make a motion to use our current publisher who has the most recent Membership list to provide the printing and mailing of those Members who are not currently on Announce. Members who are on Announce will be crossed referenced with the Membership list to be mailed to, approximately 250 Members out of 600 at this time. Second: Jo Roach. In favor: Unanimous.

Motion 2010-6 by Paige O'Donnell. The Eukanuba Invitational has asked BCSA to sponsor medallions in Long Beach. I would like to make a motion to sponsor the medallions for this event. Medallions for conformation $125 (a set of 5 commemorative 3" medallions) Obedience $45 Agility $45. Second: Jo Roach. In favor: Unanimous.

Motion 2010-7 by Terri Clingerman to reimburse the Border Collie Club of Northern CA $50 for their specialty on 9/3/2010, upon receipt(s) submitted after the event. This is per our "Event Reimbursement" policy for affiliate clubs. Second: Jo Roach. In favor: Unanimous.

• Danielle Davis (Naperville, IL)
    Sponsor - Jodie Hanson

• Shelly Spotswood (Folsom, LA)
    Sponsor - Michele Satterfield

• Karen Van Hoy (Santa Barbara, CA)
    Sponsor - Sonja Donaldson

• Ann Zarr (Leawood, KS)
    Sponsor - Julie Bosier

• Jasmine Lyon (Acworth, GA)

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Terri Clingerman. Second: Jo Roach. In favor: Megan Harrison, Lisa Weeks, Paige O’Donnell. Absent: Ann Shaw

5.1. Stockdog Focus

• Herding Instinct Evaluations – Thurs. Oct. 21, 2010

• A blank contract for the Tester has been made available to the National Chairman by Denise Teal. A copy of the contract will be attached to the “P&P” for future use as a guide.

• Denise Teal has created a waiver to be used for participants in the Instinct Evaluations.

5.2. Public Education

No report.

No report.

No report.

Time spent on web site maintenance from 5/22 to 6/20 was approximately nine hours. 

Web maintenance/new pages

o 2010 Specialty
o AKC Titles
o Board Minutes
o Border Recorder
o Borderlines

o Breeder Referral
o Committee
o Delegate
o Health
o Herding

o Home Page
o Membership
o Rescue
o SOD
o Versatility

5.3. Fancier Fellowship

No report.

Lisa Pruka received 3 letters from AKC about the date change for these trials. We need to agree to release the old dates.

No report.

5.3.4. Borderlines: Cindy Eaton-Elkhound

• Cindy sent the board a beautiful mock up of her first edition of BL. The board approved her work.

• Lisa Pruka asked Paige O’Donnell to make sure that the notice “change service requested” appears on the BL address label. The BL is not automatically forwarded when members move and have not notified us of their new address. The change service notifies us when an address has been changed so that the next edition of BL can go to the correct address.

The premiums have been finished.

The board approved the hotel contract.

Working on hiring a photographer.

• There were four new versatility applications this month.

• The board received an email from a member requesting that we add agility and obedience ASCA titles to our versatility program, and questioning the OFA and CERF number requirement for intact dogs. We already include ASCA herding titles.

• Paige O’Donnell motioned to include ASCA obedience, agility and tracking titles in our versatility program. Second: Terri Clingerman. In Favor - Jo Roach, Megan Harrison, Lisa Weeks. Absent: Ann Shaw

• The board had a long discussion about keeping the OFA and CERF requirement for intact dogs. The board decided to contact some of our original BCSA members to see why this requirement was attached to these titles. The board will also ask the membership for comments. The board is curious why this requirement was attached to the versatility titles but not the ROM titles.

5.4. Breeding Evolution

This project will hopefully be wrapped up by the end of the month. Unexpected logistical issues were encountered but these are being solved.

Lisa Pruka has been sending ROM updates to Ann Shaw for the website.

Lisa Pruka, Megan Harrison and April will review the latest revisions and clean up the language to ensure that the litter dating issue is clear.

The board started a discussion about criteria for JE mentors. Lisa Weeks listed a few of her ideas. She will send the board her working list for further discussion.

The bios for the judges nominated to judge at our 2012 national specialty were published in BL. Ann Shaw and Sonja will be getting the voting information on our website.

Nothing to report.

Linda sent this request - “Midwest Border Collie Rescue is having their annual Rendezvous in which the members, adopters, potential adopters and their dogs get together for an afternoon. It is September 25, 2010 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at Fox River Forest Preserve in Port Barrington, IL. They usually have food and have demonstrations of agility, disc dogs, things like that going on during the day. They are looking for sponsors for this event and I know they did donate to BCSA for trophies last year. I am attaching the letter and the sponsor sheet. For some sponsorship donations, you can have a table setup with information. I would also be willing to man the table out there with BCSA information (bring some old copies of Borderlines that they can look through, the General Information Book for the Specialty, anything else you can think of) - this may bring some more members into the club and possibly more entries for the Specialty.”

Jo Roach motioned to sponsor the Midwest Border Collie Rescue Rendezvous in the amount of $200. Second: Terri Clingerman. In Favor: Paige O’Donnell, Megan Harrison, Lisa Weeks. Absent: Ann Shaw

5.6. AKC Community

• The delegate report is posted on our website.

• The next delegate meeting is in September in Newark, NJ.

The next column is due in September. Terri is interested in ideas and messages we want to present.

No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare

Megan has received emails from members willing to serve on the health committee. She will foward these to the board.

• BCSA_Announce: As of June 26th, 2010, there are 343 subscribers to BCSA_Announce.

• BCSA Suggestion Box: There were no messages received in the Suggestion Box since my last report (April 26th, 2010).

No report.

• Ann is having trouble contacting Sue about reviewing bank statements. Lisa Pruka will see if she can reach Sue.

• Ann sent the Fidelity Bond application to the board for review.

• Lisa Pruka will have Ann contact other members with accounting backgrounds to see if they are interested in joining this committee to help.

• Michelle sent the board the by-laws revision balloting process/procedure.

• Michelle sent the by-laws revision document and ballot to the board and to the by-laws committee for a final review.

• Lisa Weeks motioned to approve the first-class ballot mailing estimate by JJ Graphix. Second: Terri Clingerman. In Favor: Paige O’Donnell, Megan Harrison, Jo Roach. Absent: Ann Shaw

No report.

All members that were considered for board positions were sent thank you notes for being willing to serve and were asked to consider future club officer and/or committee participation.

6. Old Business

6.1. Standard Operating Procedures
AKC has recommended that we develop an SOP rather than including certain procedures in the by-laws. Lisa Pruka sent one example to the board for review and Carol Clark will forward another example.

6.2. Top 20 Conformation Competition
The board discussed the judges for this competition. We are hoping to keep expenses for this competition to minimum. Lisa Pruka volunteered to chair this event.

7. New Business

No new business was introduced.

7. 1 Suggestion Box Submissions/Input from Membership
The board received an email about versatility (see 5.3.10).

8. Adjournment

Monday, August 9, 2010, 5:00 PM PDT

Adjournment motion at 7:19 PM by Lisa Weeks
In Favor: Paige O’Donnell, Megan Harrison, Jo Roach
Absent: Ann Shaw

AUGUST 9, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka  Terri Clingerman  Jo Roach  Ann Shaw  Paige O’Donnell  Lisa Weeks  Carol Clark

Members Absent: Megan Harrison

Call to order: 5:06 pm PDT by Lisa Pruka

Motion by Jo Roach to approve the July 2010 BCSA Board meeting minutes. Second: Ann Shaw In Favor: Terri Clingerman, Paige O’Donnell, Lisa Weeks. Absent: Megan Harrison

• AKC Correspondence

• Sent AKC a letter releasing our Jan. 15 & 16 2011 agility trials date (Denise Thomas changed to a different date for the trials).

• Other Correspondence

• Replied to Linda Ramas that BCSA is donating $200 to Midwest Border Collie Rescue’s annual fundraiser picnic on 9/25 this year.

• Answered Rick Dorrington’s question about BCSA agility trials in OH, that we have limited event numbers and use them at our national and with two established groups already.

• Received a request from Linda Hartman to ask AKC to grant her BC an ILP/PAL number.

• Received a rescue grant request from Bimmer’s Border Collie Rescue, to cover the surgery for a rescue. The request is for $1413.53.

• Received a request for rescue information for a BC at a shelter in AL. Put Linda Ramas (our rescue coordinator) in touch with the person.

• Received a few requests for breeders, replied with our breeder referral information.

• Fidelity Bond revised and resubmitted to Sportsmen's. Three year premium paid.

• Sue Rolek will now begin checking account reconciliation to meet compliance for Fidelity Bond.

• Information has been sent to Sue Rolek for July statement balancing. I will balance also so that reports can be provided to Board quickly.

ACCOUNTS AS OF 8/31/10

CHECKING

MONEY MARKET

Money Market

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

TOTAL

INCOME

2010 Spec Inc

2011 Spec Inc

Border Recorder Orders

2010 Fut

2011 Fut

Membership Dues

Rescue Donations

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

2010 Natl Exp

Affiliate Clubs

AKC

B'lines Expense

Bank Charge

Board Meetings

Border Recorder Fees

Fees

Insurance

Office

Sponsored Trials-Exp

Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

TOTAL PROFIT/LOSS

4.1. Board Votes
Motion 2010-08 by Paige O'Donnell to donate $3,000 to the Border Collie Collapse research being conducted by Dr Sue Taylor, University of Saskatchewan from the Border Collie Health Fund. This program is specific to Border Collies and the intent is to isolate the cause of the collapse by observation, blood samples, tissue analysis, clinical physical testing including herding and ball throwing (flyball reinactment) studies. Second: Ann Shaw. In favor: Unanimous.

Motion 2010-09 by Jo Roach that the proposed amendments to the BCSA Bylaws, as submitted by the Bylaws Committee, be presented to the membership for voting. Second: Terri Clingerman. In favor: Ann Shaw, Paige O’Donnell. Oppose: Megan Harrison. Absent: Lisa Weeks

• Debra Blomgren (Yorkville, IL)
    Sponsor - MaryBeth and Laura Overmyer

• Aleta Channell (Chesapeake, VA)
    Sponsor - Anita Ramsey

• Maggie Hayes (Virginia Beach, VA)
    Sponsor - Sharon Wright

• David Massa (Casselberry, FL)
    Sponsor - Renea Windley

• Pamela Mueller (Easton, PA)
    Sponsor - Joyce Herie

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Terri Clingerman. Second: Lisa Weeks. In Favor: Jo Roach, Ann Shaw, Paige O’Donnell. Absent: Megan Harrison.

5.1. Stockdog Focus

No report.

5.2. Public Education

Paige is working on the “Should I Breed My Dog” pamphlet and will send her first draft to the board for review.

No report.

No report.

• Time spent on web site maintenance from 6/21 to 7/20 was approximately 14 hours.

• Web maintenance/new pages:

2010 Specialty

2011 Specialty

Affiliate Clubs

Board Minutes

Breeder Referral

Champions

Herding Stats

Policies

ROM

SOD

Versatility

• The board decided to have Ann continue tracking her time spent on the website through the end of the year so we’ll have a full year’s worth of data.

5.3. Fancier Fellowship

No report.

Nothing to report.

• Lisa has the extra ribbons from the trial that was held in Michigan last year and she will send these to Jacque.

• Jacque would like to hold this trial again in 2011.

5.3.4. Borderlines: Cindy Eaton-Elkhound
Cindy’s first BL issue as editor is at the printer.

No report

• Emily forwarded the secretary contracts to the board for review.

• The PNWBCC sent $400 from a fund-raiser held to support the 2011 Specialty.

No report.

• There were 3 new applications this month.

• There is now a page on our website listing the Dual, Triple, and Quadruple Champion Border Collies.

5.4. Breeding Evolution

The BR has gone to print! Copies will be available at the National.

No report.

• Premiums were sent out for the dogs that were nominated and eligible for 2010.

• Lisa and April are still working on finishing up the Futurity Revisions.

The board discussed Lisa Weeks’ initial criteria ideas for selecting JE mentors. We will continue refining the criteria list.

Sonja (with assistance from Lisa Weeks) is finalizing suggested revisions to the JS process and then the revisions will be forwarded to the board for review.

No report.

There will be a rescue column in BL.

5.6. AKC Community

Carol will be attending the next delegate meeting on 13-14 September 2010 in New Jersey.

No report.

No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare

• Megan has a list of members who have volunteered to be on the health committee and she will be organizing the committee as soon as she has a chance.

• We have been asked to consider funding AKC CHF Grant 01511-A: Basis of Exercise-Induced Border Collie Collapse Primary Investigator: Dr. James R. Mickelson, PhD Institution: University of Minnesota

• Jo will ask CHF how much we have in our CHF donor advised fund and report back to the board.

No report

No report.

Copies of our bank statement and check register have been sent to Sue for review/reconciliation.
The Fidelity bond paperwork has been submitted.

Lisa Pruka has the final copy of the by-laws revisions and she will send it to JJ Graphix for printing and mailing as soon as the Inspectors of Election are approved.

No report.

Terri will let the membership know via Announce that no additional nominations were received so the 2011-2012 board slate is approved by acclamation.

6. Old Business

6.1. SOP
No further work has been done on this project. We will need to include disciplinary procedures in the SOP since those procedures will no longer be in the by-laws, if the by-laws revisions are approved.

6.2. AKC Lifetime Achievement Awards
Terri will send a message via Announce requesting membership input on the nominees for this award.

6.3. PAL Request from Linda Hartman
The board reviewed the information and photos of Linda’s dog.
Terri Clingerman motioned to approve this PAL request. Second: Jo Roach. In Favor: Ann Shaw, Paige O’Donnell, Lisa Weeks. Absent: Megan Harrison.

6.4. Parent Club Conference
Paige will be attending this conference and she has a long list of information she is hoping to share with and glean from fellow parent club delegates.

7. New Business

7.1. Rescue Fund Request from Bimmer’s BC Rescue, VA.
Bimmer’s BC Rescue has requested $1413.53 to cover the cost of surgery for BC “Shelby”. Shelby’s owner moved to a nursing home and the owner’s relatives put Shelby in a shelter, and from there Bimmer’s BC Rescue took her in. Shelby was found to have a cancerous growth on the roof of her mouth and needed surgery to remove the tumor, plus she had other medical issues that needed attention.
Motion by Terri Clingerman to approve the rescue fund request for $1413.53. Second: Paige O’Donnell. In Favor: Jo Roach, Ann Shaw, Lisa Weeks. Absent: Megan Harrison.

No submissions.

8. Adjournment

Monday, September 13, 2010 5:00 PM PDT

Adjournment motion at 6:41 PM by Ann Shaw
In Favor: Jo Roach, Paige O’Donnell, Lisa Weeks
Absent: Megan Harrison

SEPTEMBER 13, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka • Terri Clingerman • Jo Roach • Ann Shaw • Megan Harrison • Paige O’Donnell • Lisa Weeks (joined the meeting during item 5.4.1) • Carol Clark (joined the meeting during item 5.3.6)

Call to order: 5:06 PM PDT by Lisa Pruka

Motion by Jo Roach to approve the August 2010 BCSA Board meeting minutes. Second: Paige O’Donnell. In Favor: Terri Clingerman, Ann Shaw. Absent: Lisa Weeks. Abstain: Megan Harrison.

• AKC Correspondence

• Received a notice about “Meet the Breeds” in NYC on October 16 & 17. AKC is hoping all parent clubs will participate.

• Agility trials #2011507001, #2011507002, and # 20115070023 (Feb. 25-27, 2011 in PA) were pended due to needing a club officer’s signature.

• Agility trials #2011507001, #2011507002, and # 20115070023 (Feb. 25-27, 2011 in PA) are approved for date, location, and judges.

• Other Correspondence

• Let BCCNC know that BCSA will reimburse them up to $50 for their specialty show when we get receipts.

• Notified Linda Hartman that the board voted to ask AKC to grant her “Mikey” an ILP/PAL number.

• Notified Bimmer’s Border Collie Rescue that the board voted to grant their request for $1413.53 to cover the surgery for their rescue dog “Shelby.”

• Received two letters via the Suggestion Box, complaining about the way BCSA members were notified of the 2011-2012 slate. Replied that the decision to notify using email and postal mail was completed by July 1 as required by our Constitution/By-Laws. The decision was made in order to reduce the cost to BCSA.

• Received receipts from Nutmeg and reimbursed them for two $50 grants (per our affiliate club rules).

• Received a thank you letter from the University of Saskatchewan for the grant we made towards exercise induced collapse.

• Received a few emails asking about finding breeders and puppies, referred them to our Breeder Referral list.

• Fidelity Bond policy received.

• Have not heard from Sue on July reconciliation. Have sent multiple e-mails. Lisa checking.

• Sent Sue information for August reconciliation.

ACCOUNTS AS OF 9/30/10

CHECKING

MONEY MARKET

Money Market

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

TOTAL

SEPTEMBER 1-30, 2010

INCOME

2010 Spec Inc

2011 Spec Inc

Border Recorder

Borderlines

Futurity

Membership Dues

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

2009 Natl Exp

2010 Natl Exp

2011 Natl Exp

Affiliate Clubs

AKC

Bank Charge

Board Meetings

Fees

M'ship-Exp

Programs

Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

TOTAL PROFIT/LOSS

4.1. Board Votes
Motion 2010-10 by Jo Roach to grant $6,480 in support of the Canine Health Foundation project 01511-A: Basis of Exercise-Induced Border Collie Collapse. The funds for this grant will come from the BCSA CHF account. Second: Ann Shaw. In favor: Unanimous

Motion 2010-11, by Terri Clingerman. To approve Jeanne Hagen-Santiago, Susan McClair and Sandy Bohr as Inspectors of Election for the by-laws vote. New inspectors were necessary since the ones previously approved resigned. Second: Ann Shaw. In favor: Lisa Weeks, Jo Roach. Abstain: Megan Harrison, Paige O’Donnell

• Diane Cummings (Olympia, WA)
    Sponsor - Donna Polka

• Maryln Fiscus (Angels Camp, CA)
    Sponsor - Sandy Bohr

• Sue Folkerts (Burr Ridge, IL)
    Sponsor - Shirley Tipsword

• Joan Kurlander (Shorewood, MN)
    Sponsor - Jacque Hoye

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Terri Clingerman. Second: Ann Shaw. In Favor: Jo Roach, Megan Harrison, Paige O’Donnell. Absent: Lisa Weeks.

The board would like to receive as much information as possible about new member applicants from the sponsors. Terri will send out an Announce requesting more information from sponsors.

5.1. Stockdog Focus

No report.

5.2. Public Education

Paige has finished editing the “Do I REALLY Want to Breed My Dog?” pamphlet and it is ready for approval and distribution. Motion to approve by Terri Clingerman. Second: Megan Harrison. In Favor: Jo Roach, Ann Shaw, Paige O’Donnell. Absent: Lisa Weeks. Paige will have copies printed and available at the Specialty.

No report.

• Lisa Pruka will order ribbons for the Junior Triathlon.

• There was a discussion and decision to provide goodie bags for the juniors who are entered in the Specialty

• Time spent on web site maintenance from 7/21 to 8/20 was approximately 11 hours.

2010 Specialty

2011 Specialty

AKC Titles

Board Minutes

Breeder Referral

Futurity

Herding Stats

Rescue

ROM

SOD

5.3. Fancier Fellowship

Nothing to report.

This trial has been approved.

Ribbons will be ordered for this trial after the Specialty.

5.3.4. Borderlines: Cindy Eaton-Eklund
Cindy’s first issue is out and looks good!

The board discussed the development of a Specialty SOP. We haven’t had much luck in finding volunteers to move this project forward. Paige picked up a Specialty SOP CD at the Parent Club Conference and she will bring it to our Specialty for board members to review. We need to develop a standard judge contract, and then have the Specialty Chairs send out the contracts to the judges and be the main point of contact for the judges.

• Entries have closed and are down from estimates. We have more entries than are allowed per judge for conformation. Megan will work with the show secretary to resolve this issue according to AKC rules.

• The board discussed the timing of the Top 20 Agility Invitations and will work towards more transparency on how the Top 20 are selected, perhaps change the criteria, get the invitations out sooner, and consider adding a fee to participate.

• At the August Supported Entry at Olympic KC, PNWBCC had another fundraiser and raised $419 towards the nationals.

• Judges contracts are coming in.

• Contracts for show secretaries as well as for the herding grounds have now been completed.

• An updated budget was forwarded to the board.

• The only October dates that are available at the fairgrounds are late in the month.

• Linda has secured the fairgrounds and the hotel, and she will know in November if the sheep have been secured for herding.

• Terri will draft an Announce to ask the membership for their opinions about the Versatility health requirements.

• Five certificates were sent out and five new applications were received.

5.4. Breeding Evolution

The BR printing was postponed so that the Bylaws ballot printing could be done first.

No report.

Lisa Pruka has worked on a Futurity SOP. More Futurity updates/revisions will happen after the Specialty.

• There are 2 judges and 2 members signed up the JE at the Specialty.

• Joyce Norris will be organizing the herding demo for JE at the Specialty.

• Lisa Weeks will consolidate the board’s comments about the JS revision that Sonja presented to the board.

• Voting for the 2012 Specialty judges ends at the end of September.

Members are reminded that any updates that need to be made to their listing on the Breeder Referral Directory must be sent via the BCSA website:
http://archive.bordercolliesociety.com/BC_Info/Breeder_Referral/breederdir.htm

Linda has sent out emails to all the rescues asking for updated information for our website. Also in that email was information on the Specialty to try to get a better showing at the Specialty of talented rescues.

5.6. AKC Community

Carol called in from the Delegate Meeting. Carol will remain on the HEC committee. See our website for Carol’s full report from the meeting.

The latest BC column is in the September issue. The next column will be a guest column by Paige O’Donnell.

No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare

Megan will have time to work on getting new health committee members organized after the Specialty.
The plans for health testing at the Specialty are going well.

• Nancy Little has resigned as the Suggestion Box moderator (she will remain the moderator of Announce). The board discussed the need for a replacement moderator and whether we should keep the anonymous feature of the Suggestion Box. The board would like to encourage communication between the membership and the board and we feel this is best accomplished when members write openly to the board. However, we do want to encourage all dialogue.

• Paige O’Donnell motioned that we continue to receive anonymous suggestions via the Suggestion Box but that replies from the board will be private, and anonymous suggestions will not be considered official club business or published in the minutes. Second: Lisa Weeks. In Favor: Unanimous.

• Ann Shaw will be the new Suggestion Box moderator.

No report.

No report.

5.8.4. Bylaws Committee: Michelle Canfield
The Bylaws revision ballots have been mailed to the membership.

No report.

6. Old Business

6.1. SOP
Each board member will contact their committee chairs and ask them to send a description of what they do for their committee.

6.2. AKC Lifetime Awards
Unfortunately, Terri was not sent a ballot and the voting closed today so the BCSA will not be participating in this vote.

6.3. Parent Club Conference
What a tremendous event and learning opportunity! Paige sent a report to the board about her experience at the conference.

6.4. AKC Good Sportsmanship Award
The board received two nominations from the membership.
Terri Clingerman motioned to name Nancy Little as our award recipient. Second: Paige O’Donnell. In Favor: Unanimous.

7. New Business

7.1. Online Voting
The board discussed setting a time limit for board members to vote for motions online via the board’s Yahoo group poll. We want to give everyone a chance to vote but we need to come to a consensus as to when we consider the board member “absent” from a poll. Since the online poll is used to conduct business between board meetings, 2 weeks seems to be a reasonable amount of time for voting to be completed.

Two submissions were received; see the Corresponding Secretary’s report for details.

8. Adjournment

Monday, November 1, 2010, 5:00 PM PDT

Adjournment motion at 8:01 PM by Megan Harrison

OCTOBER 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

No Meeting

NOVEMBER 11, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka - Terri Clingerman - Jo Roach - Ann Shaw - Megan Harrison - Paige O’Donnell - Lisa Weeks - Carol Clark

Call to order: 5:04 PM PDT by Lisa Pruka

Motion by Jo Roach to approve the September 2010 BCSA Board meeting minutes. Second: Ann Shaw. In Favor: Unanimous.

• AKC Correspondence

• None.

• Other Correspondence

• Received a request from the Dalmatian Club of America to support their action in not allowing registration of dogs cross-bred to understand more about the uric acid gene that affects their breed. The parent club advised AKC that such dogs should not be registered as Dalmatians. AKC was considering whether to allow registration in spite of DCA's recommendation.

• Received a grant request from Mid-America BC Rescue for $919.70 for medical expenses for "Kenzie” - she either jumped or was tossed from a fast moving pickup and shattered a femur. The owner didn't want to pay for the bill so she ended up in rescue. They had the leg amputated and she already has people interested in adopting her.

• Received a few emails that had questions regarding the By-Laws revisions.

• Received numerous requests for breeders, referred them to the Breeder Referral section of our website.

• Received a request from the Westminster Kennel Club asking us if we want to update the website narrative, website photo, PA announcement or TV commentary they use during the show.

• Have not heard from Sue on July, August or September reconciliation.

• Sent Sue information for October reconciliation.

• 2010 National Specialty interim report below. There is still outstanding income and expense.

ACCOUNTS AS OF 10/31/10

CHECKING

MONEY MARKET

Money Market

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

TOTAL

OCTOBER 1-31, 2010

INCOME

2010 Spec Inc

Membership Dues

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

2010 Natl Exp

AKC

B'lines Expense

Bank Charge

Board Meetings

Fees

M'ship-Exp

Office

Programs

Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

TOTAL PROFIT/LOSS

2010 NATIONAL SPECIALTY (interim report)

2010 SPECIALTY INCOME

Advertising

Agility Seminar

Banquet

Calendars

Catalog

CGC-TDI

Conf Fun Match

Entries

Grooming

Health

HIC

Janet Larson

Judge Ed

Miscellaneous

Obed Invite

Obed Match

Parade of Ch

Photo Contest

Rescue Dinner

Rescue Parade

RV-Park

Specialty Wear

Top20Conf

Trophy

Vendors

TOTAL INCOME

2010 SPECIALTY EXPENSE

Agility

Agility Seminar

AKC Fees

Calendars

Catalog

CGC-TDI

Chair

Equipment

Facility

GI

Health

Herding

HIC

Hotel

Janet Larson

Judge

Judging Program

Obed Invite

Photo Contest

Porta-Potties

Ribbons

RV-Park

Silent Auction

Specialty Wear

Sweeps

Top20Agil

Top20Conf

Trial Secretary

Trophy-Exp

Video

TOTAL EXPENSE

TOTAL

4.1. Board Votes None this month.

• Linda Laird (Millington, TN)
    Sponsor - Klo Spelshouse

• Karen Marquardt (DeSmet, ID)
    Sponsor - Kelly Whiteman

• Carolyn Hancock (Springfield, OR)
    Sponsor - Donna Polka

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Lisa Weeks. Second: Jo Roach. In favor: Unanimous.

5.1. Stockdog Focus

Claudia’s September report was omitted from the September minutes. Our apologies to Claudia. Here is that report:

• Herding Instinct Certification Program – No changes, questions or comments at this time.

• Committee Members – Joyce Norris and Denise Teal.

• NATIONAL SPECIALTY – 2010

(The “P&P” for the National Herding Instinct Testing has been given to the 2010 National Co-Chairman.)
    A blank contract for the Tester has been made available to the National Chairman by Denise Teal. A copy of the contract will be attached to the “P&P” for future use as a guide.
    Tester: Joyce Norris using Purina sheep
    Assistants: Denise Teal & Claudia Frank
    Passing Certificates: Will have club logo as opposed to National logo in background.
    Denise Teal has created a waiver to be used for participants in the Instinct Evaluations.

• National Specialty – Top Herding Award
    **Very few people signed up for this award ahead of time as required. The Herding Committee suggests that the Tabulator go through the catalog after entries close and make their own list of qualified entrants.
    From Terri C.: “The title will be "High Scoring Advanced Herding Award." For the trophy, we're going to have something comparable in price to the award for the Obedience Invitational and Agility Invitational. The Trophy Chair will put the description in the premium.”
    The Trophy for this award is being donated by the BCSA.
    The requirements & registration form are posted on the web site & information booklet.
    Requirements changed for 2010 & approved by Herding Committee & Specialty Herding Chairman Laura Tomazcheski: Scores will be used from regular runs in the Advanced Class. Each stock and course must be entered at least once. The highest score earned on each stock and course will be added together with the highest score winning.
    Score Tabulator: Denise Teal

• SOD & SOD-X
    The Herding Committee will continue to offer a $100 gift certificate to Border Collies in Action for the SOD or SOD-X awards.
    **There has been a new SOD to be awarded to HC Maddie II owned by Geri Abrams.

• Herding Stats
    The 2009 information is now available on the AKC web site and the stats for the year are now available in the “BL” and web site in the same format as they have been in the past.

• Instructional Information available on web site.
    Basic herding information available for use as handouts.
    Five articles from a series titled “It’s Not Magic” have been added to the web site. They will also be used in the “BL” magazine.
    A new series about hosting herding seminars will be starting with the next issue of “BL” and will appear on the web site too.

• BCSA Herding Futurity –
    The first run for the Herding Futurity will be at the 2010 National.
    Joyce Norris will judge.
    At this time the Course B Started is to be used minus a pen but with the hold.

• “Borderlines” & web site articles – continue in progress
    1. Requests for Herding Committee tasks.
    2. Source of trainers:
    Locations instructor lists can be found.
    3. Guide for ranchers/farmers for purchasing dogs:
    Definition of various levels of training.
    4. Mentor program for herding beginners.
    5. BC herding ability.
    Additional columns are in progress.

5.2. Public Education

Paige is working on getting printed copies of the new “Do I REALLY Want to Breed My Dog?” pamphlet, plus it will be posted on our website soon so that clubs can print their own copies if they need to.

No report.

The Juniors Triathlon went well; there were two competitors.

• Website hours were low this month but will be high next month with all the specialty information to be posted.

• Time spent on web site maintenance from 9/21 to 10/20 was approximately 7 3/4 hours.

2010 Specialty

2012 Judge

2012 Specialty

Affiliate Clubs

Bylaws

Herding

Judge List

Rescue

ROM

Specialty Template

5.3. Fancier Fellowship

5.3.1. Affiliate Clubs: Emily Fish No report.

No report.

Ribbons are being ordered.

• The mailing of BL is running late this month due to all the election political mailings.

• The deadline for the next BL issues is 15 November. This will be the Specialty issue.

5.3.6. National Specialty Steering Committee: Volunteer Needed
Jacque and Paige have worked on their agility SOP. Paige has the Specialty SOP information from the parent club conference. Terri expressed an interest in heading up this committee during her next board term.

• Another specialty done! The board would like to thank Julie and Megan for all their hard work, and thank you to all the committee chairs and volunteers who helped them!

• The 2010 specialty posted the first ever catalog profit! Pre-ordered catalogs were labeled to make sure everyone got the catalog they ordered. There were no free catalogs with ad purchase. Sadly, many people tried to get catalogs that they hadn’t paid for. Catalog distribution was closely monitored to prevent catalogs from “walking away.” The catalogs are expensive to print so it is great that this money drain was brought back under control!

• Results and photos were quickly posted on our website; well done to all those involved!

• The show secretary for this year, Carolyn Johnson, was great to work with and should be considered for future specialties.

Nothing to report this month. Emily and April will regroup for 2011 once they recover from the 2010 specialty.

The sheep provider has been confirmed.

Terri has sent a draft email to the board for approval. Once the draft is reviewed, Terri will send out an Announce to the membership, asking for comments about the health requirements for our versatility awards.

5.4. Breeding Evolution

The BR budget will be forward to the board. So far, the BR has made a profit of $2572.

No report.

Lisa Pruka has created a Futurity SOP.

Lisa Weeks sent the board a draft of the mentor application today. The board will review and discuss at our next meeting.

The board discussed the revised JS policy.

No report.

No report

5.6. AKC Community

Nothing to report.

Terri requested suggestions for future columns. If you have any ideas, please email them to Terri.

No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare

No report.

5.8.1. BCSA Announce: Nancy Little

• As of October 31, 2010, there are 352 subscribers to BCSA_Announce.

• A standard operating procedure, which is an information description of the tasks that are done for this job, was completed and sent to the board.

5.8.2 BCSA Suggestion Box: Ann Shaw
No suggestions received.

No report.

Sue and Ann continue to have problems receiving emails from each other. They will include Lisa Pruka in their correspondence to make sure emails do not get lost.

The by-laws revision was approved by the membership; the results were sent to the board and posted on our website. The Inspectors of Election need to write a report for BL and for Mike Liosis at AKC, plus the report will be archived with the ballots in the secretary boxes.

No report.

6. Old Business

6.1. SOP:
The 2010 specialty committee is working on a specialty SOP. The board has requested SOPs from each BCSA committee chair.

7. New Business

7.1. CHF grants
Jo Roach forwarded the list of new CHF ACORN grants to the board for review.

7.2. Ocala River KC Supported Entry Request

• Gay Silva and Barbara Fitzgerald have requested a BCSA supported entry and sweepstakes at the Oconee River Kennel Club show on May 8-9, 2011.

• There was a discussion about the appropriateness of the show site for this supported entry which led to a discussion about the purpose of a supported entry. We supported the entry at this show last year as requested by the Sunshine BCC.

• Ann Shaw motioned to not approve the request. The motion failed for lack of a second.

• Ann Shaw motioned to approve the request. Second: Terri Clingerman. In favor: Jo Roach, Lisa Weeks, Megan Harrison. Oppose: Paige O’Donnell.

7.3. Chintimini KC Supported Entry Request

• The PNWBCC has requested a BCSA supported entry (no sweepstakes) at the Chintimini Kennel Club show in Albany, OR on Saturday, April 2, 2011.

• Jo Roach motioned to approve the request. Second: Terri Clingerman. In favor: Unanimous

7.4. Mid-America Rescue Grant Application

• See the Corresponding Secretary’s report for details.

• Ann Shaw motioned to approve the grant request in the amount of $919.70 for medical expenses for "Kenzie.” Second: Jo Roach. In Favor: Unanimous.

7.5. BC Hoarding Rescue Request

• Claudia Frank forwarded an email to the board requesting that the BCSA make a donation to the BCRT. The email was about a Border Collie hoarder in McKinney, Texas who was surrendering 60 dogs and the Border Collie Rescue of Texas is in need of donations to provide veterinary and foster care for these dogs.

• Terri Clingerman motioned to make a $1000 donation from our Rescue Fund to the BCRT. Second: Megan Harrison. In Favor: Unanimous.

7.6. Suggestion Box Submissions/Input from Membership
No submissions.

8. Adjournment

Monday, December 6, 2010. 5:00 PM PST

Adjournment motion at 7:43 PM by Terri Clingerman
Second: Jo Roach

DECEMBER 6, 2010 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Roll Call: Lisa Pruka - Terri Clingerman - Jo Roach - Ann Shaw - Megan Harrison - Paige O’Donnell - Lisa Weeks - Carol Clark

Guests: Art Sorkin and Linda Ramas

Call to order: 5:03 PM PST by Lisa Pruka

Welcome to our guests, Art Sorkin (President Elect) and Linda Ramas (Recording Secretary Elect), who were invited to the meeting this evening to become familiar with the procedure before taking office.

Motion by Jo Roach to approve the November 2010 BCSA Board meeting minutes. Second: Ann Shaw. In Favor: Unanimous.

• AKC Correspondence

• Events #2010507035, #2010507018, #2010507009, #2010507013, #2010507007, #2010507006, #2010507008, #2010507011, #2010507012, #2010507010, #2010507022, #2010507030, #2010507023, and #2010507021 have been processed (these are from the 2010 National Specialty).

• A letter asking us to let AKC know of any changes in officers for next year.

• A letter reminding BCSA to pay AKC dues ($25) by 1/1/11.

• Agility events #2010507028 and #2010507029 (12/4/10 & 12/5/10 in MN) are approved.

• Other Correspondence

• Contacted Border Collie Rescue Texas to tell them that the board voted to send them $1000 from our rescue fund to help with the 60 dog rescue they did in October.

• Contacted Mid-America BC Rescue to tell them that the board voted to reimburse them the $919.70 they requested to cover surgery for “Kenzie.”

• Contacted Gay Silva to let her know that she and Barbara Fitzgerald were approved to have a BCSA supported entry at the Oconee River Kennel Club show in FL next May 8th and 9th. Their sweeps judge is Mary Mahaffie DVM.

• Received a complaint that herding titles are a required component of the BCSA versatility awards.

• Received a letter from PCA requesting we support the parent club w/AKC.

• Received a request from the Westminster Kennel Club to update their Border Collie information for their website and broadcast.

• Have not personally heard from Sue on reconciliations, but Lisa spoke with her and she says they are being done.

• Sent Sue information for November reconciliation.

• 2010 National Specialty interim report below. There is still outstanding income in the amount of $407.

ACCOUNTS AS OF 11/30/10

CHECKING

MONEY MARKET

Money Market

Health Restricted

Rescue Restricted

Total Money Market

TOTAL

NOVEMBER 1 – 30, 2010

INCOME

2010 Spec Inc

BCSA Store

Border Recorder

Borderlines

Futurity

Membership

TOTAL INCOME

EXPENSES

2010 Natl Exp

AKC

Bank Charge

Border Recorder Exp

PayPal Fees

Futurity Exp

Programs

Sponsored Trials-Exp

Web Site

TOTAL EXPENSES

TOTAL

2010 NATIONAL SPECIALTY (interim report)

2010 SPEC INC

Advertising

Agility Seminar

Banquet

Calendars

Catalog

CGC-TDI

Conf Fun Match

Entries

Grooming

Health

HIC

Janet Larson

Judge Ed

Obed Match

Parade of Ch

Photo Contest

Rescue Dinner

Rescue Parade

RV-Park

Specialty Wear

Top20 Conf

Top20 Obed Invite

Trophy

Vendors

TOTAL INCOME

2010 NATL EXP

Agility

Agility Seminar

AKC Fees

Banquet

Calendars

Catalog

CGC-TDI

Chair

Equipment

Facility

GI

Health

Herding

HIC

Hotel

Janet Larson

Judge

Judging Program

Misc

Photo Contest

Porta-Potties

Rescue Dinner

Ribbons

RV-Park

Silent Auction

Specialty Wear

Sweeps

Top20 Agil

Top20 Conf

Top 20 Obed Invite

Trial Secretary

Trophy-Exp

Video

Workers

TOTAL EXPENSE

TOTAL

4.1. Board Votes
Motion 2010-12 by Lisa Weeks to approve granting three agility event numbers for a BCSA-sponsored agility trial to be held the first weekend of December 2011 at On The Run Canine Center in Ham Lake, MN, and coordinated by Jacque Hoye. Second Carol Clark. In Favor: Ann Shaw, Jo Roach, Megan Harrison, Paige O’Donnell. Absent: Terri Clingerman.

• Cheryl Dollens (Portland, OR)
    Sponsor - Andrea Latham

• April Penzien (Ray, MI)
    Sponsor - Megan Harrison

• Ronna Stewart (Ethel, WA)
    Sponsor - Carol Clark

• Colleen DeVore (Homer Glen, IL)
    Sponsor - Shirley Tipsword

• Vicki Roye (Coldwater, MS)
    Sponsor - Pam Hays

• Gayle Bock (Clinton Township, MI)
    Sponsor - Carolyn House

Motion to approve the new membership applications by Terri Clingerman. Second: Jo Roach. In favor: Unanimous

5.1. Stockdog Focus

• NATIONAL SPECIALTY – 2010

All spots available for the evaluations were filled. There were fewer pre-event registrations than in the past. See the article about the evaluation test and photos on the web site. It will also appear in the next issue of the “BL.”

• Joyce had an injury prior to the National and though she helped getting entrants ready to take the evaluation she didn’t feel she should do the actual evaluation. Debbie George was able to step into Joyce’s job as Tester and did a very good job.

• The number of blank certificates did not cover the number of evaluation tests given that passed. There has been some difficulty arranging for more certificates to be completed for those that passed and didn’t get one at the event. This involved only six passing dogs. To keep this situation from occurring again I’m adjusting the Policy and Procedures for the National Herding Instinct Evaluations to have enough certificates going into the test for every possible entrant for the day plus ten additional certificates. After this adjustment is made on the P & P, I will send it to the next year’s chairman so it can be forwarded to the person handling the evaluations.

• National Specialty – Top Herding Award
      The top three winners had scores in each category. An article about the Award is on the BCSA web site and will appear in the next “BL”.

• BCSA Herding Futurity
    There were four entrants in the Herding Futurity. Hopefully, an article will appear on the web site and in the next “BL” about the event.

• “Borderlines” & web site articles
    New columns have been added to the web site as well as submitted to appear in the “BL” magazine.

5.2. Public Education

5.2.1. General Education: Volunteer Needed

• Catherine Swain resigned as the chair of the General Education committee.

• Paige is waiting for final edits from the board before having the “Should I Breed My Dog” pamphlet printed.

No report.

• The first Juniors Triathlon will be featured in the next issue of BL.

• We need to advertise for next year’s Juniors Scholarship in January. Megan will remind Caitlin to put out an announcement.

• Time spent on web site maintenance from 10/21 to 11/20 was approximately 12 hours.

• Web maintenance/new pages:

2010 Spec

AKC Titles

Border Rec

Breed Ref

Committee

Futurity

Judge List

Membership

Minutes

5.3. Fancier Fellowship

• No report.

• We need to know which of our Affiliate clubs are AKC licensed clubs so that all clubs can renew appropriately according to the new club membership categories in the revised by-laws. Lisa Weeks will ask Emily for that information.

No report.

• Report from Jacque:

• “I am happy to report that our agility trial at On The Run Canine Center in Ham Lake MN on December 4th and 5th went on with out a hitch! Everything ran smooth as silk with no problems of any kind. We filled the trial; had plenty of parking and crating; had very efficient staff working and volunteering and the judges kept things moving very quickly both days!

• Amy Sadowski did food for the workers and it was simply AMAZING! We got a LOT of compliments on the trial:-) I am so happy it all went so well!

• We had 2 dogs earn their MACH's this weekend (bummer not Border Collies) but still fun anyway!

• We also did a little spontaneous fund raiser for MN Border collie rescue and got $70. We had people "donate" a $1.00 for a course map and Terry Smorch ran the Excellent Jumpers course without walking it and the money will be donated to rescue.”

The latest BL issue is at the printer.

• New member applications have been forwarded to the board.

• The newly revised by-laws includes new membership types and a new renewal late fee. Also, starting next year, the name and city/state of all new applicants will be published in Borderlines prior to being approved by the board so the new member approval process will take more time. This information needs to be added to our website and in the new member packets. The BL deadlines should also be included for reference.

• New fee/dues:
      Late fee: $10 (if renewing 1 February - 31 March; members must reapply for membership after 31 March)

• Associate Individual and Associate Affiliate Club Annual Dues: $40

• Membership Pro-rated Annual Dues:

• New members approved January 1 - June 30: Full dues amount

• New members approved July 1 - October 31: Half dues amount

• New members approved November - December: “Free” (pay for the next year’s full membership)

• Motion by Ann Shaw to approve the new fee and dues structure. Second: Carol Clark. In favor: Unanimous.

5.3.6. National Specialty Steering Committee: Volunteer Needed
No report.

• In spite of record low herding entries, we had about $7000 in profit. We have a few minor outstanding expenses (under $200) and we are waiting on a $411 reimbursement from Holiday Inn for room bookings. I recommend offering as many matches/fun things as you can to increase your profits.

• Julie and I were extremely diligent with managing every penny going into this event.

• Catalogs
    BCSA has a history of large losses here. We did the math and realized we were losing money on a "free catalog with ad" plan, in spite of a past increase in advertising fees. I recommend continuing to work with John Wintermute for printing of catalogs. The quote we received was $13 - $18/book. John has a long history of doing our catalog printing which will save you hassles of starting over.

• Julie and I decreased the advertising fee and canceled the free catalog. We strongly encouraged pre-orders. I did a count of every catalog needed for pre-orders. Then I counted every catalog needed by BCSA and AKC. The pre-orders and BCSA catalogs needed were 130. We ordered 45 more to sell at the event, which meant that we had 6.4 catalogs to sell at the event per day which is a lot. The total spent was $3155 ($18.02/catalog) and our total income was $4130 so our first ever catalog profit was $940!

• Grooming
    Reserved grooming will take some planning on your part and some elbow grease but it resulted in a $1340 profit to decrease the building expense.

• Health
    Health testing can be tricky because you will have a base fee to pay your CERF/BAER veterinarians. If you need some help figuring your fees here, I would be happy to help you. One thing we did not do, was charge an additional fee for Optigen, TNS or CL testing. If you are really on the line of losing money you might want to add $5 to these tests to cover your time and effort. We had a large turnout and a profit for BCSA of $390.33.

• Clothing
    Our specialty wear had a profit of $1873. I would recommend speaking with Julie Bosier regarding this. She has the amount of NON pre-ordered clothing down to a science. This year we had no extra clothing left to pack and bring home which is great!

• RV parking
    We decided to charge $5/night to BCSA for RV parking (Purina parking $25) and this resulted in a club profit of $1270.

• Janet Larsen, Top 20s, Obed Inv, Parade of CHs
    Charge an entry fee. This gives you some leeway to do personal ribbons for entrants which is a nice touch.

• Obed Inv
    Return to an invite style program like the Top 20 events. Change the payout to a sweeps style. The current plan is not profitable.

• Worker Food
    Watch your worker food totals! BCSA can't feed everyone so be diligent. We used meal tickets payable to the cafeteria for $2 and $5 and we handed them out to our volunteers as needed.

• Ribbons
    Place your largest orders early when they are on sale!! I believe this starts in January.

• Please note that the above items account for $5813 of our $7000 profit.

• The 2010 committee is now retired.

No report.

• The fairgrounds and hotel have been secured. The event dates need to be set so the judges contracts can be sent out.

• The board had a discussion about the National Specialty (typically on Saturday) and the Supported Entry (typically on Sunday), and whether we should continue this format or not. Discussion to be continued at a future meeting.

• Seven new certificates went out. Paige has been trying to track down the source of the versatility pins as we are running out and need to order more. If anyone knows who the pins were purchased from, please contact Paige. The 2010 Versatility Award webpage will be updated soon.

• The board reviewed the comments received from the membership about the versatility health requirements. No decision has been made yet. The board would like more membership input and will post a poll on our website.

5.4. Breeding Evolution

So far, the BR has produced a profit of $2702.40. There are a few “leftovers” that Megan will advertise for sale.
The same committee is on board to do another BR next year.

No report. The board is still interested in having a breeder award developed if anyone is interesting in submitting a proposal to the board.

Lisa Pruka and April have been in contact about preparing for next year’s Specialty.

• Linn sent information to Lisa Weeks about BC JE presentations in Houston (July) and Pennsylvania (August) that will need BCSA mentors to attend and present our JE material.

• Lisa Weeks motioned that we send BCSA mentors to the Houston and Pennsylvania BC JE presentations (presenter and budget to be determined). Second: Paige O’Donnell. In Favor: Unanimous.

More discussion about the JS policy revision. The board discussed restrictions for breed judges prior to our Specialty.

No report.

• Linda is trying to find ways to improve our image with the rescue groups that we would like to help. Some rescue groups see BCSA as a “breeder club” and there is the perception that these groups are opposed to breeders. The BCSA would like to be a resource for rescue groups. The board discussed a few ideas to get rescues involved with BCSA; member input is welcomed!

• Linda has put together a SOP for the Specialty rescue dinner and raffle.

5.6. AKC Community

Carol joined the board meeting from the delegate meeting in Long Beach, CA. She gave a brief report about the day’s HEC committee meeting. Her full report will be posted on our website at a later date.

Terri’s latest column is on BC colors. Please send your future column ideas to Terri.

No report.

5.7. Health and Welfare

No update on new committee members.

5.8.1. BCSA Announce: Nancy Little
Nothing new to report.

5.8.2 BCSA Suggestion Box: Ann Shaw
No suggestions received.

No report.

Ann and Sue continue to have email communication difficulties.

5.8.4. By-Laws Committee: Michelle Canfield. (Lisa P)

• The new by-laws and election report were sent to Mike Liosis at AKC.

• This committee is now retired.

Linda will work on wrapping this project up.

6. Old Business

6.1. CHF Grants
The board reviewed the list of new ACORN grants needing support (none were border collie specific) and decided not to sponsor any of the grants at this time.

7. New Business

7.1. Research Priorities for CHF
Lisa sent the board a list of canine health concerns and would like our input on what we feel are our top concerns and funding priorities. This is for an annual survey that the CHF conducts. Each board member is to review the list and send Lisa their choices by 12 December.

7.2. Westminster KC Page Update
The board reviewed the information on Westminster KC’s BC information page and decided that no updates were needed at this time.

7.3. Committee Liaison Update
With Jo Roach leaving the board at the end of December, Linda Ramas will take over as board liaison for Rescue, Breeder Referral, and 2011 Specialty committees. Megan Harrison will become the board liaison for the Health committee.

7.4. Suggestion Box Submissions/Input from Membership
No submissions.

8. Adjournment

Monday, January 10, 2011, 5:00 PM PST

Adjournment motion at 7:38 PM by Ann Shaw

Page Updated 04.14.2015

Home | Club Info | Borderlines | Border Recorder | Breed Info | RescueEvents | Programs | Contact Us | Top

The Border Collie Society of America, Inc. was founded in April 1993.  This site is owned by the Border Collie Society of America, Inc. and was established 12.94.