BCSA Logo

BOARD MEETING MINUTES - 1996-1997

Return to Board Minutes Central


         
                     
         

 

OCTOBER 1996 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

DECEMBER/JANUARY 1997 

The Board voted as follows:

  • The Specialty will have one obedience trial, one conformation event, two agility trials, and two herding trials
  • At the Specialty, we will run the herding B course on Thursday and  A and B courses on Friday.
  • A membership option will be added to membership applications: non-USA resident membership dues will be  $40 for single and $55 for a household.  This will help to cover postage for mailing of Borderlines to foreign countries.
  • We will have a judges education video made.
BCSA was approved by the AKC to hold its second sanctioned A/OA Match Friday evening, March 14, 1996.

FEBRUARY 1997 

  • The AKC confirmed that the breed clubs hold the copyrights to their breed's standard.

  • Helen  Phillips will be sending out a special mailing by May 1 at the latest. The mailing will include: info on the Annual; application plus sample pages applications for V/VX awards,  photo contest rules, ad rates for specialty catalog (Kelly Lee Hagestrand), roster, By-laws, specialty information, trophy solicitation

  • Subscription rate for Borderlines (for non-members) will be raised from its current $12.50 per year to $18 per year or $3 per issue. Foreign rates will increase by $5.50.

  • Janet Larson has agreed to head the lobbying committee for keeping the stud books open.

  • Helen suggested we place an ad in Front & Finish advertising the BCSA Specialty, BCSA membership, and the BCSA Annual.

News on the National Specialty: 

  • Dr Robert Tanish has agreed to judge Puppy Sweeps at the Specialty.

  • Hunter Hampton, one of the owners of BC-L (the Border Collie email list), has agreed to have BC-L sponsor Thursday night hospitality. BCSA will provide the drinks, and the BC-L folks will provide the food.

  • Kim Augustine will chair the next Specialty.

  • Janet Lewis will do the closing ceremonies at the Specialty.

  • Helen H. Hittesdorf wrote to suggest the BCSA allow the breed judge the ability to recognize dogs of outstanding quality that are not awarded either Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex. The Board agreed that this would be a good idea.

  • Sharon Ferguson volunteered to help raise money for the specialty by having matches in her area.

  • Helen Phillips will try to book the fairgrounds in Denver for the Specialty in (they weren't available for  1998).

  • It was decided to not hold a Specialty in 1998.

  • Kim Augustine is checking on handicapped facilities at national.

  • At Richard Whorton's request, the Purina Farms website has provided a link to our website: http://www.ralston.com/dogevts.html We are the only ones with a link!

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary

Respectfully submitted, Nancy Gagliardi Little, Secretary

JANUARY  1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

No Meeting


FEBRUARY 1, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

 The Board voted as follows:

  • The Specialty will have one obedience trial, one conformation event, two agility trialsandtwo herding trials
  • At the Specialty, we will run the herding B course on Thursday and  A and B courses on Friday.
  • A membership option will be added to membership applications: non-USA resident membership dues will be  $40 for single and $55 for a household.  This will help to cover postage for mailing of Borderlines to foreign countries.
  • We will have a judges education video made.
 BCSA was approved by the AKC to hold its second sanctioned A/OA Match Friday evening, March 14, 1997.

FEBRUARY 1997 

 The AKC confirmed that the breed clubs hold the copyrights to their breed's standard.

 Helen  Phillips will be sending out a special mailing by May 1 at the latest. The mailing will include:

  1. info on the Annual; application plus sample pages
  2. applications for V/VX awards
  3. photo contest rules
  4. ad rates for specialty catalog (Kelly Lee Hagestrand)
  5. roster
  6. By-laws
  7. specialty information
  8. trophy solicitation
 Subscription rate for Borderlines (for non-members) will be raised from its current $12.50 per year to $18 per year or $3 per issue. Foreign rates will increase by $5.50.

 Janet Larson has agreed to head the lobbying committee for keeping the stud books open.

 Helen suggested we place an ad in Front & Finish advertising the BCSA Specialty, BCSA membershipandthe BCSA Annual.

News on the National Specialty: 

  •  Dr Robert  Tanish has agreed to judge Puppy Sweeps at the Specialty.

  •  Hunter Hampton, one of the owners of BC-L (the Border Collie email list), has agreed to have BC-L sponsor Thursday night hospitality. BCSA will provide the drinksandthe BC-L folks will provide the food.

  •  Kim Augustine will chair the next Specialty.

  •  Janet Lewis will do the closing ceremonies at the Specialty.

  •  Helen H. Hittesdorf wrote to suggest the BCSA allow the breed judge the ability to recognize dogs of outstanding quality that are not awarded either Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex. The Board agreed that this would be a good idea.

  •  Sharon Ferguson volunteered to help raise money for the specialty by having matches in her area.

  •  Helen Phillips will try to book the fairgrounds in Denver for the Specialty in (they weren't available for  1998).

  •  It was decided to not hold a Specialty in 1998.

  •  Kim Augustine is checking on handicapped facilities at national.

  •  At Richard Whorton's request, the Purina Farms website has provided a link to our website: http://www.ralston.com/dogevts.html  (link no longer active 10.09.2004-A Shaw, Web)  We are the only ones with a link!

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary 


MARCH 1, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

The Board adopted black and white as the club colors.

There was further discussion on requirements for V/VX/VCh, including discussion on whether to include the U-OCH and ASCA OTCh as part of the VCh. It was decided that the U-OCH and ASCA-OCH will not allowed at this time.  We are waiting for further discussion from members.

With regards to herding requirements for Versatiltiy Awards, the ASCA STD was considered to be equivalent to AKC HT/PT.  The AKC HI will be required for a VCh.

Nancy Little suggested that, since there is a problem with storage disease in Australia and NZ, we should think about making a modification to our advertising requirements by including the requirement that dogs need to be tested for storage disease. Because there is no test to identify carriers of dogs with CL, the Board feels that the appropriate stragtegy at this time is to educate Border Collies owners about the disease and publish a list of carriers so that owners can determine if there is a potential for a problem.  A list of carriers will be published in "Borderlines" and can be reached from the BCSA website."

The entry fee for dogs at the National Specialty will be $25and$18 for a second entry of  the same dog (except for herding).

The Board voted to sponsor a Dee Dee Rose Seminar in Durham, NC sometime in August. The profits will be donated to the BCSA. The dates are Aug 9/10.

Entries at the Specialty will be limited. This means we will not be able to have non-regular obedience classes.

A convention fee and seminar fee for people who don't want to register were discussed. The convention fee was set at $25, with a second family-member fee of $15 (which will entitle each person to an exhibitor bag, commemorative pen, a name tag that allows entry into the hospitality room, etc.). Kim set the seminar fee at $5.00.

The registration fee will be waived for people who have helped with the Specialty.

There was further discussion on the supplier of trophies for the Specialty.  Nancy Little has taken over as trophy chairperson.

Kim is checking into prices to charge for vendor booths.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary 


APRIL 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

No Meeting.


MAY 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

No meeting.


JUNE 1, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

BOARD DECISIONS:

Foreign certification for hips and eyes will be accepted by the BCSA in place of OFA and CERF certification. Travel expenses for club business would be reimbursed at $.28 per mile on board-approved activities. Meals, lodgingandplane fare would also be reimbursed.

SPECIALTY:

The herding budge was increased by $500 in order to add a few more sheep so that more runs could be made per day. The awards will be as follows:
  For the $100 category: Custom shirts with a paper mache "bag" 5"h x 6"w x 2" that can be painted with the appropriate scene for the event(BOB, Obed HIT, Herding HIT) and a gift certificate inside for the shirt and the custom painting.
  For the $75 category: Plain 16" x 16" canvas pillow that can be painted with Border Collies.
  For the $50 category: Smaller canvas pillow painted with Border Collies.
  For the $25 category: Paper Mache boxes painted inside and out with the breed.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

AKC approval for the specialty is pending. The AKC has received the BCSA's presentationandhas put it on their agenda. Kim brought up the possibility of the obedience rings for the specialty being under tents.  The parade of champions has been changed to Friday evening before the banquet and moved to the hotel in order to insure more participation and more attendants. This however puts it before BOB judging and some folks feel that this is going to be a problem for the judges.

NEW MEMBERS

13 new member packets were sent out.

NEW AFFILIATE CLUBS

Two new affiliate clubs were approved:
Great Lakes Border Collie Club in Delton, MI
Highland Border Collie Club of Southern California in El Mirage, CA

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


JUNE 16, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

BOARD DECISIONS:

No decisions were made during this 2-week period.

SPECIALTY:

  • Donations are rolling in for the trophies. Right now the conformation area is the one that has the least amount of interest.

  • The awards for the $15, $10and$5 categories are going to be purchased from BCRO (Val Maurer) so the money will benefit rescue.

  • Kim developed a list of rules for people attending the specialty, which were revised and approved by the board.

  • Volunteers are desperately needed for the following jobs:

  •   Hospitality chairperson

  •   BCSA Information booth Chair and volunteers to   staff this booth.

  •   Grounds chairperson.

  •   Transportation: we need to have some way to get  judges and exhibitors with out cars from the airport and to and from the show.

  •   First-Aid Booth and Emergency Services: Will   gather volunteers to staff a first-aid booth at  the show and will be responsible for a safety plan.

  •   Grounds - Hotel:  Need someone to make arrangements  for clean up of grounds at the hotel.

  •   Grounds - Purina: Need an individual willing to coordinate a group of volunteers to set up  and  tear down rings and equipment.

  •   Parking: Help direct parking and make sure vehicles are complying with regulations.

  •   Auctioneer: No experience necessary. We need a person who would like to have a little fun and serve as our official BCSA auctioneer.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

  • The AKC has not yet approved the BCSA for licensed trials.

  • The board continued to discuss the issue of keeping the stud books open past their scheduled close in February 1998. The board discussed having someone from that committee give a report of their progress at the membership meeting at the specialty.

  • Helen suggested that, if we're going to have a specialty in 1999, we need to get started on the planning as soon as possible. The board discussed the possibility of having local affiliated clubs do the planning and organization of future specialties.  We need a volunteer to head up the 1999 specialtyandif there are no volunteers, there can be no specialty.

  • Helen asked for an update on the AKC Standard committee's efforts to revise the standard. The board discussed having someone from that committee give a report of their progress at the membership meeting at the specialty.

  • Kim Augustine requested that a meeting agenda be put together for the membership meeting at the specialty.

  • Helen called Susan Witte and told her to go ahead with the logo design for the specialty. We need to have a chairperson in place to order t-shirts and sweatshirts. Helen needs the prices by the next Borderlines so people can order them.

  • Helen suggested that we have some kind of plastic sheeting (for placing under crates in the hotel rooms) available to sell at the specialty.

From April:

  • **ASCA STD will be equivalent to the AKC HS as published in Borderlines. Changes that will be made to the equivalency  published in Borderlines  is that the USBCHA Nov/Nov would be 3 runs  instead of the 2 published and (because of what our experts said) there is no equivalency in ASCA to the AKC HI. For an ASCA or USBCHA run to count, we need to have the total score and the scores for each element, along with the total points available for each element. Dogs must receive  50% of each before it is considered acceptable (which is what the AKC rules require).

  • **The Board discussed helping to pay for the  rescue information 800 numbers set up and  manned by by Border Collie Rescue.

  • **The Board discussed having a special award  for conformation champions that reach a certain  level in herding, similar to the Full Championships  in the UK.

  • From May:

  • **Medallions will be designed by Linda Rand.

  • **The judges education is not only for the judges, but for all interested parties who want to know more about our breed and what we expect the judges to be
      looking for.

NEW MEMBERS

No new member packets were sent out during this 2-week period.

NEW AFFILIATE CLUBS

No new affiliate clubs were approved during this 2-week period.

OTHER

  • Richard Whorton updated the BCSA Web site and announced that it had won an award!

  • Kim Augustine volunteered to put together a manual on setting up a local BCSA-affiliated clubandthe board heartily approved and will support her in this undertaking.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


JULY 1, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

BOARD DECISIONS:

  • The board approved Fran Hoffman’s request to attend a presentation given by the American Dog Show Judges Association in August at the Advanced Judges Institute in Western PA.

  • Because rescue is such an important issue in the breed, Border Collie Rescue Organization (BCRO) will be given free advertising space in Borderlines each issue.

  • The AKC has been notified that BCRO is the rescue organization that we will support. BCRO information
    is to be published on the AKC’s web page and in the Gazette.

  • Requests from members for funds from the BCSA must be submitted to the board through written proposals. The board can then act on the proposal or send it to one of the committees (the health committee, for example) for review before making a final decision. Procedure for submission is pending.

  • To expedite the processing of new member applications, the Treasurer will email names/addresses to the board members when she receives them, and, upon approval, the Secretary will immediately mail out new member information to those members. The Treasurer will mail the new members their membership cards.

  • Membership applications are currently in the process of being revised to include more information, such as prospective members, dog-related activities, breeds, length of time they’ve been involved with the breed/activities, etc.

  • A new club title will be instituted for conformation Champions who also obtain a herding title. What this title will be called is yet to be decided.

SPECIALTY:

  • Extra copies of Borderlines (if there are any) will be brought to the specialty and sold at cost ($2.00). A copy of each back issued will be available for people to look.

  • Raffle tickets will be ordered by mailandwill then be picked up with the information packet at the check-in table.   There will be no RV parking at the Purina grounds because there have been no volunteers for parking chairperson. However, the Ramada (host hotel) has offered to allow RV parkingandthere is a KOA campground very close to the show and host hotel.

  • Chuck Goelzer Lyons has agreed to bring a computer to help with any last minute items we might need to work upandto serve as a link between the show and the Border Collie email list (BC-L) so that information and results can get out quickly to the online Border Collie community.

  • The theme for this year’s specialty will be “The Border Collie: Versatility in Action.”  This theme was proposed by Kim Augustine and approved by all board members.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

  • We are still waiting for AKC approval to hold licensed trials. Richard has continued to check with the AKC on when we might expect to hear.

  • The board is working on preparing an agenda for the member meeting at the specialty. The agenda will be distributed to the membership prior to the specialty, so that members have time for input.

NEW MEMBERS

23 new member packets were sent out.

AFFILIATE CLUBS

No new applications for affiliate clubs were received.

OTHER:

  • The BCSA had an ad published in Front and Finish.

  • The Board sent a memo to the Standards Committee asking for an update on their progress.  

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


JULY 16, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

The AKC approved the BCSA to hold licensed trials. We are currently waiting for word that the specialty events will be licensed.

BOARD DECISIONS:

  • o Susan Witte is doing the logo design for the specialty.

  • o Border Collie Rescue Organization (BCRO) has been added to the AKC web page as the BCSA?s designated rescue group, with a link to their home page.

  • o Dr Robert Tainsh has agreed to chair the health committee. He has also agreed to serve as our delegate to the AKC Health conference, this year in St. Louis in November. Nancy Keller, Kathy FreemanandMaureen Setter will be on the committee.

  • Charge for the Health Committee:

  •  - Review current health concerns of the breed and report to the membership.
     - Conduct a health survey (AKC version or some other version).
     - Establish procedures and review protocols/proposals for support of health related projects/research.

  •  The goals of the committee should be:
    -  The study of all health issues that affect the Border Collie. High priority should go to genetic problems that are more likely to affect the breed than other conditions,
    particularly those that are severe or lethal. Breeders should have access to information how the condition might be inheritedandwhat they should do if such roblems show up in their own lines.
     -  Open registry of genetic defects. We should have a registry available to breeders so they can publicly report problems that have occurred in their lines so that other breeders will know these problems exist. BCSA should promote the attitude among breeders that participation in the open registry program is necessary and desirable for the long-term welfare of the breed.  If possible genetic counseling should be available.
     -  We need to set up lists of dogs with genetic defects similar to the one the Border Collie Club of New South Wales has for CL.  Sires and dams of affected dogs should be published; known carriers need to be designated as such. The mode of inheritance for each problem needs to be carefully detailed so that it can be easily understood.
     - The committee needs to establish parameters for its own goals, methodologyandethics.

  • o Richard Whorton and Sharon Ferguson are working on the project for keeping the AKC stud books open for a longer period of time.

  • o The BCSA will sponsor a show for a "supported entry" in years when there is no National Specialty planned and hold our annual meeting there for that year.  Any show choosen must have at least two and preferably three activities (ie, conformation, obedience and agility) to be eligible for consideration.  If herding is not offered, we will also consider sponsoring a herding trial at a separate location.  The choice of show/trial to support will be made from applications submitted by local Border Collie groups, with preference being given to BCSA affiliates.  

  • o Richard Whorton has revised the membership application to include more information on new members, such as how many dogs they have, how long they have had Border Colliesandwhat they do with their dogs. Ronni DeLay will keep a database of this information.

  • o The following committee charges have been developed:

  • 1.  Judges Education - conduct breed judge education seminars, develop educational materials that illustrate correct evaluation of BC conformation (video, photo, booklets, etc.).
    2.  Standard Committee - Revise the breed standard, present standard to the members for approval and work with the AKC for approval of the standard.  Work with the judges education committee to implement the standard.
    3.  Herding committee - foster and promote BC herding activities, develop BC herding instinct test for the BCSA, provide means for evaluating herding instinct  (approve evaluators, certify dogs by video).
    4.  Health committee - see above.  The Health committee could coordinate its activities with the education committee to develop ways to get information to our membership, the BC community and the general public.
    5.  Education/public education committee - develop literature and education programs that help the public understand what a Border Collie is, what it means to own a BC and promote BC rescue.  Work with outside organizations to provide information on Border Collies, the BCSAandthe AKC (books, pamphlets etc). It would be nice to have a breeders guide, buyers guide and puppy owners guide.
    6.  Stud Book - work to keep the stud books open, work to increase the number of Border Collies registered with the AKC.
    7.  Affiliate committee - work with local groups to get affiliates organized, consider requests from affiliates for sponsorship of local events, act as a liason between the BCSA and local clubs.
    8.  Ethics committee.

SPECIALTY:

  • Specialty t-shirt sales - Mary Whorton has agreed to handle this.

  • We had originally planed to have mugs with are logo as gifts for those attending the banquet. Kim has decided (with support from the Board) that we should not do this because:  1. They want camera ready art or they will charge us a artist fee and they refuse to accept any type of copies of our original. 2. If people bail out, we will be stuck with a bill for these mugs.

  • Committee chairs will receive the following as thank you gifts:
    1. Free Registration
    2. Paid Banquet
    3. Free T-shirt
    4. Certificate of Thank You presented at the Banquet
    5. Paid lunch the day(s) of their event(s)  

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

  • Richard said we need a Education committee with a public education person that we can identify to the AKC.

  • Richard Whorton suggested the possibility of having two levels of membership. To become a full member, people would be required to volunteer in some capacity for the club. Ronni thought this would require us to change our bylawsandmight be a problem with the AKC.

  • The title for conformation Champion with a herding title will be determined by the herding committee.

  • Richard suggested that the education committee should put together some information for the AKC to distribute when they send people their registrations.

  • Helen Phillips suggested that we develop a herding standard for the breed, including various such as temperament and trainability, working style, etc.

CORRESPONDENCE

Letter from the AKC:
AKC SUPPORTS EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES
New York, New York -- July 9, 1997 -- The Board or Directors of The American Kennel Club supports quality educational activities. It is the intention of the Board to include and not exclude any AKC affiliated organization in this endeavor.  Therefore, the American Kennel Club encourages any national/regional AKC affiliated organization that wishes to provide significant educational programs to submit an application for assistance. All applications should be sent to the President
of The American Kennel Club.

NEW MEMBERS

13 new member packets were sent out.

Respectfully submitted April Quist


AUGUST 1, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

The AKC has approved all Specialty events for licensing.

BOARD DECISIONS:

  • The Board decided to make a donation to help Border Collie Rescue Organization to put together an events package. The intent of the package is to provide a reusable and compact mini-rescue kit to be used by people who attend a lot of dog events and who would be willing to set up a mini-rescue information site in their crate/tent area. The ultimate purpose is to inform people about rescue, find good adoptive homesandaccept donations. The package would include:
      - "Living with Border Collies" pamphlets
      - Border Collie coloring sheets for children
      - An 8x11 laminated cardboard stand-up easel with BCRO rescue information
      - An 8x11 laminated cardboard stand-up easel with a photo montage of rescued Border Collies
      - A recent list and description of dogs available for adoption
      - Adoption applications
      - Volunteer and foster home applications
      - A list an description of available BCRO products
      - A collapsing collection box for donations

  • Val Maurer is working on getting 10 sample packages made up for people to review and critique and having cost estimates to go with the samples.

SPECIALTY:

  • Because the premium lists for the specialty are going out fairly late, they will be mailed First Class.

  • Kim Augustine has found out that we can't hold the herding dog class without formal approval from the AKC. In view of the short amount of time she has for receiving such approval, it was decided that the herding dog class would be dropped and replaced with stud dog and brood bitch classes.

  • Black and white cloisonné pins have been ordered for V/VX awards.

  • After a great deal of discussion on limiting the number of participants in the title parade, the Board decided not to do that. Instead, on the suggestion of Linda Rand, names/titles will be readand(at Kim Augustine's suggestion) the names and a short write-up on each dog will be listed in the catalog.

COMMITTEES:

  • Stud Book - Richard Whorton sent a letter to the AKC requesting that the stud books be kept open for an additional period of time.

  • Herding Committee - with input from the Board, the Herding Committee decided that a conformation Champion would have to received an HS for the special recognition of Ch/X.

  • Standards Committee - Sharon Ferguson made a suggestion to the Board that they contact the Jack Russell Terrier parent club to exchange ideas on writing and enforcing a standard for working dogs, as well as discussing ideas on judges' education. The Board agreed that it would be a good idea, as our two clubs have a great deal in common.

  • Health Committee - Nancy Little found information on the AKC web page about an "AKC Molecular Genetics and Canine Genetic Health Conference," and requested that it be forwarded to the Health Committee for review.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

  • Richard Whorton asked whether we need an ethics committee, or whether the Board handles ethics matters.

  • Ronni DeLay suggested that we have all committee chairs make written reports bi-monthly to be published in Borderlines.

  • Kim Augustine requested that we have special specialty T-shirts printed with "BCSA Team 97 Member" to designated committee members

NEW MEMBERS

6 new member packets were sent out.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


AUGUST 16, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

  • There was a problem with the mailer in getting the last month of Borderlines out. This mailer is no longer being used.

  • The AKC has put our request to keep the stud books open on the agenda for discussion at their September meeting.

BOARD DECISIONS:

  • There was some discussion on reversing the decision to limit the obedience entries, but it was decided that it was much too late to obtain approval from
    AKC to change it.

  • The Board agreed to pay for the show secretary's hotel room at the specialty.

  • Helen Phillips received an email from Dianne Williamson volunteering to put together a Border Collie breed booth at the Wonderful World of Dogs the weekend before the specialty. It was agreed that this was a good ideaandRichard Whorton is having her get in touch with Tonya Russell.

  • April Quist suggested that we try to find a volunteer to put together a video of the specialty. Kim Augustine looked into hiring someone to do it, but since a  professional would require that no one else be allowed to video tape any eventsandsince we have such a problem with getting volunteers to do all of the jobs we already have to do, the Board decided that it wasn't feasible to do anything official.

  • Nancy Gagliardi Little volunteered to put together a policy handbook documenting all BCSA policies. The Board agreed that this is something that needs to be done.

SPECIALTY:

  • We will have the show photographer take pictures of all winners for Borderlines.

  • Premium lists have been mailed, on schedule!

  • The Highland Border Collie Club of Southern California has tentatively volunteered to do the national specialty for 1999 in Victorville, California. They will work with Kim Augustine after this years specialty and then put together a proposal for the Board.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

  • Ronni DeLay suggested that we have the conformation judge at the specialty submit a written report of his choices and why he made them so an article can be written for Borderlines.

  • Ronni also suggested that we ask members to submit candid photos taken at the specialty.

  • Ronni brought up the subject of the AKC video on Border Collies that the Board had discussed some months ago. We need to get a committee formed to work on that project.

  • Rena Stevens is unable to serve as chair for the Education Committee (though she's agreeable to serving on the committee), so we need to come up with another chairperson.

  • Ronni suggested that we schedule a Board meeting sometime before the general membership meeting at the specialty.

NEW MEMBERS

No new member packets were sent out.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


SEPTEMBER 1, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

SPECIALTY:

  • Registrations for all events are coming in. Entries for obedience Novice A, Open AandUtility A are low.

  • Trophy donations - all obedience, herdingandagility awards have been donated. The awards for conformation
    were the only ones not all filled by donations.

  • Since the most recent Borderlines has an article requesting tropy donations, anyone who donates at this point will be given the option of having their money
    returned, or having the money put into the general specialty fund to help defray other expenses.

  • Kim Augustine asked who, from the AKC, should be invited to the specialty. The Board agreed that Bob Kelly and
    Bill Thayne should be invited, along with the head of the herding representative and the head of performance events.

  • The Border Collie Club of New South Wales has sent a letter of congratulations to the BCSA on our first national specialty. They have appointed Judy de Jong
    as their representative. Judy will be available at the specialty to answer questions about CEA and CL. Janet Lewis sent their club a letter thanking them for their
    support.

  • There was some confusion over the registration fee for the specialty, so Kim Augustine sent a letter out to BCSA members explaining it is not an entry fee and not required, but that it gets people into a number of events at the specialty.

  • Thanks to Tonya Russell, Dr. Keller, from the OFA, will be at the specialty Friday and Saturday to answer questions and hand out literature.

  • We have another volunteer to do a 1999 specialty - Kelly Whiteman has tentatively volunteered to serve as Show chairperson. She has been asked to present a proposal to the Board.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

  • Nancy Little suggested that we institute a Lifetime Achievement award for dogs have exceptional achievements. Janet Lewis suggested a Border Collie Hall of Fame. Helen Phillips suggested that we should give the award to the dogs only after they have been retired and have accomplished all they are going to accomplish.

  • Nancy forwarded a suggestion by Maureen Setter that the AKC be requested to do the Border Collie breed video at the specialty.

  • Helen Phillips suggested we invite a representative from CERF to the specialty.

  • Our request to the AKC to keep the stud books open for a longer period of time was presented at the AKC meeting this monthandwill be voted on next month (October 14).

NEW MEMBERS

12 new members were voted in.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


SEPTEMBER 16, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

SPECIALTY:

  • There will be a public presentation of a gift certificate to Kim Augustine as a thank you for being the show chairperson.

  • Donations from the rescue benefit will be split between the rescue organizations that come to the specialty.

  • There will be a short Board meeting on Thursday evening at the specialty.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Ronni DeLay again brought up the subject of the AKC video on Border Collies and the suggestion that we ask the AKC to do the video at the specialty. According to Janet Lewis, Fran Hoffman discussed this with the AKC several months agoandthe AKC was unable to do the video then.

NEW MEMBERS

11 new members were voted in and their new member packets were sent out.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


OCTOBER 1, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

The AKC voted to extend the open registration period for Border Collies through Jan 2001, which keeps the stud books open an additional three years.

BOARD DECISIONS

  • PetSmart sent the BCSA $50 in gift certificates in response to Helen Phillips' request for donations for the specialty. They were received after the specialty was overandwill be donated to Border Collie Rescue Organization.

  • Janet Lewis received an email from Norstar News, a canine related newsletter, requesting permission to reprint information from the BCSA Web page. Janet responded with permission for them to print all but the breed standard.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

The Board received a letter from Karen Rabbitt questioning the validity of the general membership meeting at the specialty on October 11, 1997, because certain procedures were not followed. She feels that the motions that were passed were invalid because of this and requested that the vote be annulled.

JUDGES' EDUCATION

  • Fran Hoffman received a request for judges' education from the Texas Dog Judge Association. They invited the BCSA to participate in a series of seminars to be held July 16-19 in conjunction with the Astro Hall Series of Dog Shows. In 1997 they had over 150 attendees total, with 20-30 participants attending each seminar.

  • Carol Summerfield called Fran Hoffman to ask the BCSA to consider presenting on October 2/3, in Memphis at the Pedigree/St Jude Judges? Education Event.

NEW MEMBERS

No new member packets were sent out.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


OCTOBER 16, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

OLD BUSINESS:

  • Nancy Little is starting to develop a club policies and procedures handbook.

  • Richard Whorton requested that we put together a club budget as soon as possible.

  • The board decided to accept only AKC herding titles, with the minimum title required being an HS, in order to earn a CH/X. Pictures of dogs attaining this title will be published in Borderlines.

NEW BUSINESS:

  • Richard Whorton suggested developing a written policy for holding BCSA-sanctioned events and specialties. This would include policies for:
    1. National Specialties
    2. Regional Specialties
    3. Shows with supported entries
    4. Other regional/national events

  • Richard received a suggestion for the next specialty that we offer a non-regular conformation class open only to dogs with herding titles.  It was further suggested that this class be judged immediately prior to BOB. Helen asked if it would be possible to show neutered dogs in a class like this.

  • The Board discussed whether it would be a good idea to make the B herding course optional at the national specialties, since it is difficult to find a large enough area to have this course.

  • Janet Lewis suggested that it's time to start forming a nominating committee.

  • Helen Phillips suggested that have a club condolence chairperson.

  • Janet Lewis suggested that, for national specialties, we have separate chairpersons for each event (obedience, herding, conformation, agility) who have committees or persons under them responsible for trophies, judges, stewards, sheep, etc. She also suggested we solicit money for trophies, have it go to a general fundandthen split it among all the activities.

  • Australian member Judy De Jong requested that we find a way to allow Australian/New Zealand dogs obtain herding certification.

  • The board approved allowing Bobbie Farquhar (secretary to the Highland Border Collie Club of California, a BCSA affiliateandCalifornia Rescue Coordinator for BCRO) to put together a video tape of the specialty from the tapes attendees made. The proceeds from this will go into  an account to help pay for the neutering/spaying and medical bills of rescued dogs in California. (Ronni DeLay suggested advertising this in Borderlines.)

  • Vicky Wilcox (member in Wilmington, NC area) has volunteered to have t-shirts made with the BCSA logo on them to sell to members. She will also take care of filling the orders for them.

SPECIALTY:

  • There was a problem at the national with people allowing their dogs off leash on the show groundsandwith people bringing puppies under 6 months old. These problems need to be addressed before the next specialty.

  • Terry Sadler has reserved Purina Farms on October 6 through 11, 1998, for the next national specialty.

  • Because we will have to have judges arranged quickly for the 1998 national specialty, judges will be determined by the specialty committee. However, input on judges will be requested from the membership for the 1999 specialty.

NEW MEMBERS:

No new member applications were received.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


NOVEMBER 1, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

OLD BUSINESS:

  • The board continued to discuss the club policy handbook that Nancy Little is putting together.

  • Jan Mayr has found someone who can convert video tapes (for $10) from the overseas format to the format we use in the US, so we can herding-certify dogs in other countries once members in those countries get a herding certification program put together.

  • Nancy Little suggested that we get to work on finding a chairperson for an Ethics Committee.

  • Nancy Little suggested that we not forget about the 1999 specialty. Kelly Whiteman is putting together a proposalandJanet Lewis is going to contact her to see how it is progressing. Janet suggested that Kelly be included in the conversations about the 1998 specialty.

  • We continued to discuss the written policy for holding BCSA-sanctioned events and specialties.

  • Ronni DeLay is working on the club budget.

NEW BUSINESS:

  • Kim Augustine suggested that we have a National Specialty Treasurer with his/her own budget and authorization to write checks.

  • Richard Whorton suggested that we have a National Specialty Committee, consisting of the most recent past Specialty Chairperson, the current Specialty Chairpersonandthe future Specialty Chairperson(s), with the current chair being the chair of the committee. Everyone agreed that it was
    an excellent idea.

  • Ronni DeLay suggested that we have a policy to bond the Treasurerandthat she get bonded ASAP. Everyone agreed to the policyandthat she should get bonded as soon as she could.

  • Nancy Little suggested we should get a photo of each first placement from the specialty, HIT (herding, obedience), HC (obedience), RHIT (herding), BOB, BOSandBest Puppy to have for our club records. Ronni DeLay suggested that we also include the three first places in the Border Collie-only agility trial.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

From October 15-31:

  • Richard received a suggestion for the next specialty that we offer a non-regular conformation class open only to dogs with herding titles.  It was further suggested that this class be judged immediately prior to BOB. Helen asked if it would be possible to show neutered dogs in a class like this.

  • The Board discussed whether it would be a good idea to make the B herding course optional at the national specialties, since it is difficult to find a large enough area to have this course.

  • Janet Lewis suggested that it's time to start forming a nominating committee.

  • Helen Phillips suggested that have a club condolence chairperson.

  • Janet Lewis suggested that, for national specialties, we have separate chairpersons for each event (obedience, herding, conformation, agility) who have committees or persons under them responsible for trophies, judges, stewards, sheep, etc. She also suggested we solicit money for trophies, have it go to a general fundandthen split it among all the activities.

SPECIALTY - 1998:

Terry Sadler is contacting judges to see who is available.  A number of judges she's contacted are already booked.

NEW MEMBERS:

9 new member applications were received and the members were voted in.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


NOVEMBER 16, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

OLD BUSINESS:

  • The BCSA Club Relations Committee has begun work on developing information to help new affiliate clubs forms. Committee Chair is Kim Ausgustine and members are Terry Hammond, Joyce Heire, Helen Phillips, Barbara PalmerandJoel Levy.

  • Jan Mayr suggested that, for handlers seeking videotape evaluations, the dog must be identified verbally on the tape and a written statement MUST accompany the tape.  If the dog is micro-chipped or tattooed, this identification must be given. She also suggested that, beginning Jan.1,1998,  handlers seeking videotape evaluation here must send a notarized affidavit that this is indeed the dog being represented as well as the pedigreeandverbal identification on the tape itself.   If overseas has an equivalent to notary that should be required. Helen Phillips questioned the need for a notary since most notaries would understand what the tapes were and would not take it kindly if people brought in their dogs, made the notary watch the tape and then verified that it was this dog, after turning him over and showing his tattoo number. Nancy Little suggested a compromise:  requiring two witnesses who must both be on the video, stating their names clearly and also stating that they are witnesses on [date] that the dog being videotape was in fact [dog's name]. Then ask those two witnesses to sign the form that is sent in to the herding committee.

  • We have a volunteer to head up the Ethics Committee - Tom Turner. He will start after the first of the year.

NEW BUSINESS:

  • Helen suggested that, since we have a year to work on it, we should contact an artist for the 1998 specialty. Nancy Little suggested Steven Spencer, who did the official logo for the Border Collie finals.

  • Richard Whorton suggested that, when we give permission for someone to post the Border Collie standard on the Internet, we require them to provide a link to the Border Collie Buyer's Guide and to BCRO's rescue site.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS;

  • From November 1-15:

    • Kim Augustine suggested that we have a National Specialty Treasurer with his/her own budget and authorization to write checks.

  • From October 15-31:

    • Richard received a suggestion for the next specialty that we offer a non-regular conformation class open only to dogs with herding titles.  It was further suggested that this class be judged immediately prior to BOB. Helen asked if it would be possible to show neutered dogs in a class like this.

    • The Board discussed whether it would be a good idea to make the B herding course optional at the national specialties, since it is difficult to find a large enough area to have this course.

    • Janet Lewis suggested that it's time to start forming a nominating committee.

    • Helen Phillips suggested that we have a club condolence chairperson.

    • Janet Lewis suggested that, for national specialties, we have separate chairpersons for each event (obedience, herding, conformation, agility) who have committees or persons under them responsible for trophies, judges, stewards, sheep, etc. She also suggested we solicit money for trophies, have it go to a general fundandthen split it among all the activities.

SPECIALTY - 1998:

  • The following judges will be judging at next year's specialty:
    Breed - John Richie, SCOTLAND
    Sweeps - Betty Belliveau, MA
    Obedience - Kent Delaney, IL & Jerry Iermiero, NJ
    Herding - Kent & Lori Herbel & Jim Buzzard

  • So far, no agility judges contacted have been available.

  • Tentative Schedule:
    Tues-Thurs: HERDING
    Fri & Sat: OBEDIENCE & AGILITY
    Friday: SWEEPS
    Sat & Sun: BREED

NEW MEMBERS:

5 new member applications were received and the members were voted in.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


DECEMBER 1, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

OLD BUSINESS

Richard Whorton announced that the BCSA T-shirts (with the BCSA logo on the pocket) are ready.

NEW BUSINESS

  • Janet Lewis suggested that, instead of a banquet at the specialty, we have an awards cocktail party. We could do the awards then (with dogs and owners being guests of BCSA). We could follow that up with a buffet dinner and make our meeting a dinner meeting.

  • Helen Phillips announced that she will be resigning as editor of Borderlines. She said might be willing to continue helping to put it together (doing layout, etc.), but we need find someone else do the content editing. Helen noted that, as the club and magazine gets bigger, it's too much of a job for one person to handle aloneandthat dividing it into two separate positions right now would ease the burden for future administrations. The Board agreed that this was a good idea.

  • Janet Lewis made a motion that on November 1st of each year (or as shortly thereafter as possible), BCSA will send to BCRO the portion of its budget that it has set aside for rescue. The motion was seconded and passed.

  • A check for $2536.08 was sent to BCRO to use as it sees fit.

  • Nancy Little suggested that we should consider appointing a BCSA rescue liaison to focus on how we can best support rescue.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

  • From November 1-15:

    • Kim Augustine suggested that we have a National Specialty Treasurer with his/her own budget and authorization to write checks.

  • From October 15-31:

    • Richard received a suggestion for the next specialty that we offer a non-regular conformation class open only to dogs with herding titles.  It was further suggested that this class be judged immediately prior to BOB. Helen asked if it would be possible to show neutered dogs in a class like this.

    • The Board discussed whether it would be a good idea to make the B herding course optional at the national specialties, since it is difficult to find a large enough area to have this course.

    • Janet Lewis suggested that it's time to start forming a nominating committee.

    • Helen Phillips suggested that we have a club condolence chairperson.

    • Janet Lewis suggested that, for national specialties, we have separate chairpersons for each event  obedience, herding, conformation, agility) who have committees or persons under them responsible for trophies, judges, stewards, sheep, etc. She also suggested we solicit money for trophies, have it go to a general fundandthen split it among all the activities.

SPECIALTY - 1998

The Board agreed that we should have a third obedience judge for the next specialty, so that we don't have to limit obedience entries.

NEW MEMBERS

9 new member applications were received and the members were voted in.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary  


DECEMBER 16, 1997 - BOARD MEETING MINUTES

OLD BUSINESS

Nancy Little suggested that we ask Bob Tainsh for a report on the AKC Health conference he attended in St. Louis in November.

NEW BUSINESS

  • Helen Phillips announced that Borderlines is a finalist in the Single breed magazine category in the Dog Writers Association of America's contest.

  • Val Maurer, of BCRO, sent Board members rough drafts of rescue display packages for comment.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

See "Unfinished Business" section of the minutes for December 1-15.  

SPECIALTY - 1998

Helen Phillips emailed Terry Sadler to ask her to contact Steven Spencer ( who did the design for the USBCHA finals this year) about doing the design for the 1998 specialty.

Respectfully submitted, April Quist, Secretary


 

Page Updated 11.01.2015

Home | Club Info | Borderlines | Border Recorder | Breed Info | RescueEvents | Programs | Contact Us | Top

The Border Collie Society of America, Inc. was founded in April 1993.  This site is owned by the Border Collie Society of America, Inc. and was established 12.94.